• Register
  • Help

Topic: How can I configure my ram?

Share/Bookmark

Smile How can I configure my ram?

Hi everyone. I am looking to expand my Dell Dimension's Ram from 1 gig to 2-4. I'm not sure how much yet. I went to crucial.com which told me that my model of Dell has 2 of 4 ram slots empty right now. So I guess I've currently got 2 512 mb chips. My question is can I add two more 512 chips to the other slots even if they are a different brand? Or do I need to buy all new chips? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eric

Re: How can I configure my ram?

Brand matters not

HOWEVER, find the current speed of your ram first. (for example, PC2700, PC3200. You can find this in the bios i think. If you get slower or faster ram, the faster sticks will be impaired my the slower ones, as they have to run at the speed of the slow ones.

Initially, RAM is much like a car. The dependency of it depends on how you use it. Sometimes the cheap cars work as well as the expensive ones, sometimes they don't last as long though too. There is not too much of a significance difference between brands, but there is a slight difference between Standard RAM, Generic off the shelf, bulk made RAM, and Hyper-X RAM.

The difference may not be clear in the performance, but it is indeed clear in the game of time. I know from experinece that the RAM I put in my computer, the cheapest stuff I Told em' lasted a little over year. It is now not functioning well at all. Then again it could be many other issues too, but I have had that problem twice now with custom computers. In the end though, saving 200$ from using generic RAM versus HYPER SUPER POWER whatever, may be more valuable, then again, my freak RAM accidents could be my own fault.

Also take note that if you do indeed exceed 2 gigs of RAM you may need a program like FX teleport.

More expensive RAM generally carries a better warranty.

G

Ok, here's another question. Can I put two 1 gig chips into the now empty slots for a total of 3 gigs since I already have two 512 mb chips installed? Or do all four chips have to be the same size? Thanks for the earlier replies by the way. It is much appreciated.

Eric

I would seriously check the manual of your Mobo before u do anything. It will tell u how much and which slot handle single and double-sided dimm . And how fast and how much ram your board can handle. For instance, the board on one of my comps. (Asus P4PE) can only handle 2GB of DRR-PC2700. It has 3 slots but only 2 of them can be used at a time. So to get the full 2GB u need 2~ 1 GB sticks. Crucial and Kingston are more expensive cause there "generally" more reliable...Cheap bad ram can really mess with your system. Rich

Wait, wait, wait!!! DON'T mix brands!!!! You may get some trouble because of this, and it happens all the time! Ok, maybe you mix brands and nothing happens, but you will never know when this will be an issue or not. So, as a rule of thumb: if you have the chance of buying the same brand that you already have, do it! You won't regret.
    And avoid generics, either.

Good Luck!

Go Back to forum