• Register
  • Help

Topic: "The Lascivious Lover and the Coy Lass" (newbie seeks critiques)

Share/Bookmark

Question "The Lascivious Lover and the Coy Lass" (newbie seeks critiques)

Hello!

I received GPO two days ago, and I'm just blown away by how beautiful the instruments sound.

When it comes to putting them together, though, my results are nowhere near as good as the demos. I don't expect them to be, at least not this soon, but I was wondering if some kind souls here would listen to my first attempt and give me a couple of pointers on how I can improve it.

The Lascivious Lover and the Coy Lass (or, "Pish, fye, you're rude, Sir!") - MP3, 1.2 MB

The melody is from Thomas D'Urfey's Wit and Mirth, or Pills to Purge Melancholy (1719); the arrangement is my own.

Many thanks,
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Re: "The Lascivious Lover and the Coy Lass" (newbie seeks critiques)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    Hello!

I received GPO two days ago, and I'm just blown away by how beautiful the instruments sound.

When it comes to putting them together, though, my results are nowhere near as good as the demos.
    Uh, gotta disagree there. This sounds absolutley outstanding. It's actually almost totally realistic, IMO. I don't expect to hear much panning with an early music ensemble but the way you have it works fine. And the arrangement is terrific. This kind of music is my real weakness anyway. GPO strinkes again!! I didn't know the solo strings sounded quite this good as a small ensemble. Is that a flute sample or recorder? It sounds sort of in between... Nice work!!

Just checked out your homepage- anyone who combines old language, music, anti-cult stuff and complete Tick episode transcriptions is my kind of person

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Uh, gotta disagree there. This sounds absolutley outstanding.
    Um... well, thanks!

Is that a flute sample or recorder? It sounds sort of in between...
    I used:

Flute Solo KS
    Violin 2 Strad KS Solo
    Viola KS Solo
    Cello 1 KS Solo
    Harpsichord KS (A5,B5,C6)

I think the flute was easiest to figure out the phrasing for, since I play a couple of other woodwinds. I'm not a string player (unless frets are involved), so I wasn't really sure what I was doing there.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Godfrey, I think that you're better than you make out you are! I'm forced to agree with the others and think this is really good, moreso if you're as new to it as you say.

Frank

Methinks he doth protest too much.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Godfrey, I think that you're better than you make out you are! I'm forced to agree with the others and think this is really good, moreso if you're as new to it as you say.
    Well, thanks... I guess I'm my own worst critic.

But mainly I was looking for help getting a smoother sound out of the solo string instruments (to my ears it sometimes sounded like they were just sawing away at the notes, even when I was using legato).

I just discovered that it was my fault; I had set the polyphony on the solo parts down to 1, which for some reason made the notes sound much more disjointed even when they overlapped with the sustain pedal down. Raising the polyphony back up made it sound much more like I was envisioning it. (Enaudioning it?)
    -- Jeff Lee

That's some mighty fine stuff!!!
    I like it
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    I just discovered that it was my fault; I had set the polyphony on the solo parts down to 1, which for some reason made the notes sound much more disjointed even when they overlapped with the sustain pedal down. Raising the polyphony back up made it sound much more like I was envisioning it. (Enaudioning it?)

Yeah, be careful with that!! The LEG patches use seperate samples/voices to bridge the gap between notes. A lot of tricks that GPO programming uses requires several voices even for monophonic sounds.

I didn't even notice on the first version though, I just thought you wanted a detached feel!!

Go Back to forum