• Register
  • Help

Topic: Converting .GIG files to Kontakt!

Share/Bookmark

Converting .GIG files to Kontakt!

Hi everybody!

Its My right here.. I'm a Kontakt user and i bought some Giga soudlibrary and i'm converting them to Kontakt using CdXtrackt for the job. Now my concern is.. lets say the .GIG file is 600 MB.. and when i open it in CdXtract to convert.. a n d lets say in that .gig file there is 10 Programs.. then my Kontakt folder of the same liubrary becomes bigger. Is that normal? Because when I convert each program, It create the NKI file plus a Sample Folder that comes with that Program example: Vienna Solo MOd..

Example i have the Viena Strings library one of them wich in the Folder that I put the .Gig file (from Harp blabalba) its 6.82 gig now after i convert to NKI, the whole NKI folder is at: 10. something gig.. wich is a lot no?

So i was wondering if there is a way to make that the NKI convertion stays in the same size like the .gig file. Thank you very much

And happy Thanks Giving

My

Re: Converting .GIG files to Kontakt!

Well, first of all, forget about Cdxtract... it will make your instruments sound like crap compared to Kontakt´s batch convertion. Do it using kontakt and you will get better results for sound quality and file size. But as a general rule, you can count that your kontakt samples are going to be bigger, because .gig files have compression and kontakt files don´t.

I disagree, and think CDXtract does a vastly better conversion.

The reason for the increase in size is that in Giga, those multiple programs are all using the same sample pool. When you convert, the sample pool is recreated for each instrument.

After you convert, if you combine instruments that use the same samples into Groups in Kontakt, you will arrive back to a smaller instrument, that’s equivalent to the original in size.

It’s an ongoing issue that kontakt has no automated way to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo
    Well, first of all, forget about Cdxtract... it will make your instruments sound like crap compared to Kontakt´s batch convertion. Do it using kontakt and you will get better results for sound quality and file size. But as a general rule, you can count that your kontakt samples are going to be bigger, because .gig files have compression and kontakt files don´t.
    i also disagree with guga

i think cdxtract is easier to use and sounds great

what i really think is that, in general gigastudio sounds better than kontakt, i don't know if it is because of the algorithm program or something

but i use almost exclusively kontakt because it is a more practical software

Quote Originally Posted by lulu
    in general gigastudio sounds better than kontakt
    Please, don't get Guga started again on Kontakt vs. Giga

Well, I just converted some libs this week using Cdxtract AND Kontakt, and Kontakt sounded much better (not the quality of the samples, but the dynamics of the instrument itself) specially the pianos. And there is no such thing as Cdxtract being "easier" because in Kontakt you just have to point a folder where gigs are located and then point the destination for the converted files. What can be easier than that???

Good luck!!!

Go Back to forum