• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which audiocard has the best performance regarding latency?

Share/Bookmark

Which audiocard has the best performance regarding latency?

As mentioned in header,

I'm using audiophile 2496 card now with 256 samplerate setting and overall i'm happy with the system performance. But when i'm reaching around 65% cpu activity crackles and dropouts occur.

If i switch to for example a more high end audiocard like RME hammerfall with same latency setting will the crackels disappear? I mean can you reach shorter latency times with the same cpu performance?

Greetings Resident.

Re: Which audiocard has the best performance regarding latency?

The 2496 should be capable of as low of a latency as any card out there. Lower latency settings tend to put more strain on the CPU. What is the make and model of your motherboard and CPU?

Also, is your Processor scheduling setting set to "background services"?
    To check go to:
    Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Advanced
    Click the "Settings" button in the performance
    Click the Advanced tab

Here your Processor scheduling should be set to "Background services" and not "Programs". This can make a very big difference in the latency that you are able to run your host with.

With minimal plugins I can get 1ms latency with an M-Audio card in Cubase on my 3.2 GHz PC. More typically I run at a higher latency because 1 ms is not really necessary and tends to be a bit troublesome.

fizbin

Hi Fizbin,

Yes all the tweaks i've made. There is a detailed subscription on the Tascam site on how to tweak comps for audio so i've done all that. But i run Sequencer, Gigastudio and VST instruments all on the same computer. Some heavy strain VST like Virsyn Cube i run on other computer. Gigastudio and audiorecording is done on SCSI HD.

Are you sure there are no more efficient audio cards than Audiophile 2496, i can imagine that other manufacturers drivers can be written more effictive.

Mobo Intell D865 S478, Pentium VI 3.0 Ghz, Hyperthreading on, SCSI HD for samples. SATA HD for system.

In head-to-head tests the M-Audio cards on a PC usually do as well, if not better than any of the others, even more expensive cards. The site which gathered this info is no longer there and it was solely based on Cubase SX latency using ASIO drivers, but the Delta cards were consistently capable of low latency ASIO operation. You can say what you will about the A/D converters and clocks and such, but I think latency-wise you're not going to gain much (probably not anything) by going to a different card.

I'm not pretending to be the authority here, but I do own a 1010LT and a 2496 and am happy with them. I did a bit of research on it before I bought them.

Maybe someone else has a different experience. That is, a card capable of lower latency than the Delta cards.

fizbin

OK - here you go! A whole mess of information with a lot of different ways of interpreting it. Please post back and report your assessment of said information :-)

http://cubase.freezope.org/perftest/shoresults

Fizbin thanks for your answers!

I think you are right i'm quite happy with the audiophile and the 256 samplebuffer and the audiophile is a good card, but with alittle better audiocard (if available) performance i will get rid of the rest of the crackles. The audiophile on a 384 sample buffer will do the job all the maximum of the cpu. But i prefer 256 samplerate!

Greetings.

Talking Re: Which audiocard has the best performance regarding latency?

That's is great Fizbin that is what i need! Thanks for the adress!

Greetings Resident.

Go Back to forum