• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EWQLSO Gold Harp vs Horizon ViennaHarps?

Share/Bookmark

Question EWQLSO Gold Harp vs Horizon ViennaHarps?

Hi!

I know it a bit of an unfair comparison but I am really curious what the harp is like in Gold. That group buy is almost unmissable and I can only afford one or the other.

I was about to purchase Vienna Harps for use in HALion, I really need a nice harp for a project coming up. I like the fact that ViennaHarps has all of the different articulations, especially the Bisbigliando...very nice.

Any Gold users care to describe the harp samples for me? Are they dry, ambient, flexible etc? I can't find any demos of the harp playing solo for comparison.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Tom

Re: EWQLSO Gold Harp vs Horizon ViennaHarps?

OK I thought as much, thanks Sharmy.

So do you think it would be at all possible to use the Gold harp in a non-orchestral context. The project I have coming up is more contemporary and a bit folky by nature....acoustic, quartet, piano etc.

The Vienna Harp demo just blew me away in terms of expression and sound.

Thanks for your help
    Tom

What other options are available?

From what I can tell, GigaHarp has four velocity layers and uses the mod-wheel for harmonics. It's designed to model the harp pedals, so you can gliss on the white keys.

But isn't this the same as the harps (3) in GPO? I'm not sure that the GPO harps have four velocity layers (do they?), but they have the harmonics and the gliss mapping.

It looks like the Gold harp has the advantage of natural ambience, and the Horizon harp has the unique articulations, but the same cost as GPO and nearly the cost of the Gold Group Buy.

-JF

Tom,

You should also be aware that Gold Pro has expanded the Harp section to include the following (everything with an asterisk is new) -

mp, mf, f
    roll finger, mp

*harmonics

*C D E F# G# Bb maj gliss up slow
    *maj gliss up fast
    *maj gliss down slow
    *maj gliss down fast
    *maj up down slow, fast

*6 gliss up slow
    *6 gliss up fast
    *6 gliss down slow
    *6 gliss down fast
    *6 up down slow, fast

*dominant 9 up slow
    *dominant 9 up fast
    *dominant 9 down slow
    *dominant 9 down fast
    *dominant 9 up down slow, fast

*wholetone stuff C

*wholetone stuff C#

*Scary Effect in C

- Doug

Hi Jon and Doug,

Well Gigaharp is 'Giga', and although I'm sure lovely, I'm not willing to buy many giga libraries. I find them a hassle to work with in HALion without taking a lot of time to sort them, which is something I don't have a lot of right now.

GPO looks good, that was my initial toss-up, GPO or ViennaHarps, but I must say the GPO harp demos, while good, paled in comparison to Vienna, but then they should I suppose.....

Doug, how much is the upgrade to Pro from standard gold? I must say this is a tough decision, that group buy is just an awesome proposition!

Thanks for the suggestions
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomW
    Doug, how much is the upgrade to Pro from standard gold? I must say this is a tough decision, that group buy is just an awesome proposition!
    Tom,

At the moment the $995 Gold library is going for $398 in the 'group buy', as we reached more than 81 buyers - that's a saving of nearly $600. The Gold Pro upgrade is also $995 as the library will approx. double in size plus we're adding the 'platinum' articulations/samples that were not in the original Gold library - so you'll have all of 'platinum' albeit with one mic position instead of three. There is a special Gold Pro upgrade price until December 31 of 30% off ($696.50), so with the current 'group buy' and that upgrade special you would be getting a product that retails for $1,990 for $1,094.50. That's a 45% discount off the whole deal!

The link for the GOLD 'group buy' is -

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...ml?sku=EW-160G

(Don't forget to use the promo code GROUP at check out to get the discount)

The link for the GOLD PRO UPGRADE is -

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...?sku=EW-160PRO

(Don't forget to use the promo code EWPRO at check out to get the discount)

There are many demos you can listen to on the 'group buy' page also.

More info about the 'upgrades' can be found here -

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24699

I hope that helps,

- Doug

Ahhh OK Doug, thanks!

Well its a great deal thats for sure but I think the Pro box is a little out of my range right now - was only looking for a little old harp....

thought I may have been able to get the harp I needed with gold and the rest just thrown in so to speak. We'll see - maybe I can just get good old Santa to get me the Gold Group Buy.....haha

Thanks for your help
    Appreciated.

Regards Tom

Tom

You might also want to check out the Xsample harp - not many effects but the open, stopped and harmonic tones are beautiful. I have it and the Opus 1 harp. I tend to use the Xsample. It's also relatively cheap, and the CD comes with a celeste and a couple of other exotic instruments. All excellent.

Here's a link to some demos: http://www.xsample.de/english/xmp3_08.htm
    Xsample is a good but, for some reason, underrated label, and the harp is widely regarded as its best instrument.

Cheers

Hey thanks for the tip!

I'll check out the xsample demos - I've seen them before but hadn't found any good demos of them previously.

Cheers Tom

I'll vouch for the XSample Harp as well, it sounds great and I keep gravitating towards it time and time again.

Been using it for a long time (along with some "custom" samples that I made) and I simply love the sound....throught the years the original Akai version has been translated by me into Unity, EXS24 and Kontakt. The simplicity of the instrument has made this quite easy!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Go Back to forum