• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Back from New York

Share/Bookmark

Back from New York

I've been in New York City for most of the past week. I was hoping to be in touch, but the hotel I was staying at had wi-fi rather than ethernet so I was incommunicado for the trip.

The best part of the trip was meeting with some forum members - especially bmonroney, Andy Brick and FrankS. The main purpose of the trip was mostly important business meetings and negotiations. Aside from business, there was time to do other enjoyable things.

A highlight of the trip was hearing Brian (bmonroney) and his band play at Irving Plaza (and having some wonderful pizza and zeppolis). Also a visit with Wendy Carlos who showed me her studio and played a number of songs on her specially-built keyboard rig. We later attended an AES talk at the New School about using optical scanning technology to preserve and restore old recordings (like 78 records and wax cylinders). In addition I met with a few schools and universities in New York that use GPO. And also had time for a concert at Carnegie Hall. It was a wonderful and very worthwhile trip.

Missed being among my friends on the forum. Did I miss much on the forum or chat while I was away?

Glad to be back,

Gary Garritan

Smile Re: Back from New York

Sounds like a great trip, Gary!

Now, this is a forum, so you can't tell that I am hyperventilating right now....

You got to visit with Wendy Carlos?!? She showed you her studio and played some songs for you?!? Holy freakin' smokes! That is *incredible*!!!!!! There are two keyboardists in this world I hold higher than any others. They are Wendy Carlos and Rick Wakeman. I go to New York every other month and I have many times thought about trying to track down where she lives just to walk by. However, that is too much like stalking, so I've never done it.

You have *got* to share more details on your visit with her. You say you `visited' her, does that mean you previously knew her, or was this your first meeting with her? Did you get to meet her siamese cats? What 5 manual keyboard?! (How could I have missed that?!) How is the Moog? Did you discuss surround sound at all?

Ok, I'm getting obnoxious here. Anything you could share would be outstanding. It must truly be an awesome experience talking with her. To me, she is the greatest influence on electronic music there will ever be. Her music is astonishing. Everything from technique to timbre to tuning is used to create the ultimate electronic music experience. She is without a doubt a genius and a person of the highest caliber. Meeting with her must have truly been an experience of a life time.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Talking Re: Back from New York

Seven hours from Beeffalo and he couldn't even send a messanger.
    Sounds like the 'ol Gary mightster had a great time! Happy to hear. Nothing too exciting has happened on the forum just same ol same ol!
    Nice to see your back....now turn around so everyone can see you!
    Styxx

Re: Back from New York

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I've been in New York City for most of the past week. Also a visit with Wendy Carlos who showed me her studio and played a number of songs on her specially-built five manual keyboard. We later attended an AES talk at the New School about using optical scanning technology to preserve and restore old recordings (like 78 records and wax cylinders).
    Gary Garritan
    Gary, et al...

Great trip...brings back a memory...I'm old enough to have met Wendy when she was still Walter. I worked for Walter Sear in NYC in the late 60s, play testing and maintaining the tubas he was importing at the time and pulling patch cords in his then leading-edge electronic music studio. He knew I loved electronics and had a ham radio license, so I was taught the rudiments of the studio as far as he trusted me. Part of my pay was also an old BC-348 receiver I had been coveting out of his storage closet.

I was studying tuba and euphonium with Walter Sear, and he let me work off my lessons in the studio and in the tuba warehouse. The Sear Sound Studio at that time was in the Great Northern Hotel, occupying space formerly used by Fine Recording, IIRC. At that time the terms "patch cord" and "loop" were to be taken literally.

Both W. Carlos and Bob Moog were frequent visitors to the studio, and I would change patch cords as they tested different things and chatted with Walter Sear. Little did I know at that time...

I also remember the debut of "The Copper-Plated Integrated Circuit," one of the first electronic music albums--the "launch event" was held in a ballroom at the Great Northern.

Ironically, Walter Sear's emphasis now is "retro"--he's big into tube gear in his studio these days!!

Random Snorlaxian Ramblings...
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Talking Re: Back from New York

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Did I miss much on the forum or chat while I was away?
    Yes, of course Gary! You missed a very intellilectual talk about the "church" modes and their use in classical music and in jazz. Other than that it was Chatner as usual.
    Will there be another one today?

Great to have you back!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Seven hours from Beeffalo and he couldn't even send a messanger.
    Didn't you see him waving to you when the plane flew over??

Welcome home, Gary!
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Sounds like a great trip, Gary!

Now, this is a forum, so you can't tell that I am hyperventilating right now....

You got to visit with Wendy Carlos?!? She showed you her studio and played some songs for you?!? Holy freakin' smokes! That is *incredible*!!!!!! There are two keyboardists in this world I hold higher than any others. They are Wendy Carlos and Rick Wakeman. I go to New York every other month and I have many times thought about trying to track down where she lives just to walk by. However, that is too much like stalking, so I've never done it.

You have *got* to share more details on your visit with her. You say you `visited' her, does that mean you previously knew her, or was this your first meeting with her? Did you get to meet her siamese cats? What 5 manual keyboard?! (How could I have missed that?!) How is the Moog? Did you discuss surround sound at all?

Ok, I'm getting obnoxious here. Anything you could share would be outstanding. It must truly be an awesome experience talking with her. To me, she is the greatest influence on electronic music there will ever be. Her music is astonishing. Everything from technique to timbre to tuning is used to create the ultimate electronic music experience. She is without a doubt a genius and a person of the highest caliber. Meeting with her must have truly been an experience of a life time.

-Kevin
    That's pretty much my reaction too
    Jim, that's very cool that you got to chill with Wally and Bob back when!!

Gary, it's great to hear you had a successful and enjoyable trip to New York. It must be great to connect with one of the legendary musicians of our time. When I worked for Bob Moog at Big Briar (now Moog Music, again) I had the opportunity to chat with Wendy on the phone a couple of times. Two words that jump to mind are "elegant" and "brilliant" - things that come through her music and her demeanor. I'd like to hear (ok, read, but it's a figure of speach) more about your trip - how about some anecdotes?
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

It’s obvious I’m not the only one who was greatly influenced by the music of Wendy Carlos. I was 5 or 6 when I first heard “Switched on Bach” and I’ve never been the same since. I spent most of the 90s using exclusively an additive synth (Kawai K-5 at first, later a Kawai K-5000) after reading an interview with Ms. Carlos in Keyboard magazine (the article was in the mid 80s but I couldn’t afford a cheap used instrument until the 90s).

OK, back on topic. I’m glad you had a good and productive trip, Gary. Welcome back.
    Trent P. McDonald

Wow, I wish I could travel and have time to drop in on famous people (or semi-famous people)! And then time for Carnegie Hall!?! Seems like it was a wonderful trip . . . I really envy it!

That restoration of older recordings AES talk also seems interesting . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum