• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bill of Rights for US citizens only?

Share/Bookmark

Bill of Rights for US citizens only?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I was just looking over the Bill of Rights in the almanac (my favorite 5-minute reading), and it dawned on me that nowhere - at least nowhere I saw - does it say that the Constitution or any Amendments apply to US citizens only.

So how are we able to round up foreigners who live here and hold them without charges?

Re: Bill of Rights for US citizens only?

As someone who travels internationally on a regular basis, this issue is critical to me. I want to have maximum rights regardless of what country I happen to set foot in. It seems that the US needs to push for rights for foreigners in this country if we want to demand rights for US citizens abroad.

Just remember, Bush says that all you have to do to defeat terrorism to to spread freedom. It's on the march!

-JF

Actually, the Bill of Rights was not intended to be an exhaustive enumeration of all the rights of the individual (see amendment 9). But the purpose of the Constitution was not to define the rights of the individual, nor to define the limits of the government. Rather, its purpose is only to define and enumerate the limited powers of the federal government, beyond which it is powerless.

So interpreted this way (as it was originally intended), non-citizens would be protected as well since the object of the Constitution is not the citizens, but rather the federal government.

Yet only libertarians interpret it that way!

I think a good example of this goes clear back during WW2, when people on the west coast gathered japanese civilians and put them in camps. Fear makes people do strange things. I think that a lot of those people would NEVER mean any harm to us, but paranoia can work in strange ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Yet only libertarians interpret it that way!
    You mean they're the only ones who interpret it the way it was originally intended? Yes, sadly, you're right.

I'm not sure you're right, Brady, but I'm not a Constitutional scholar. What I am sure of is that we need leadership in this day and age, and with their total recklessness, the leadership we have now is hastening the end of life as we know it.

It's astounding how stupid people are in this country. Astounding. Even musicians who post here.

And contrary to the way you view it, that's not elitism, it's reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    I'm not sure you're right, Brady, but I'm not a Constitutional scholar.
    Nor is Brady. He just plays one on Northern Sounds TV....

Go Back to forum