• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cheapest way to GSIF2

Share/Bookmark
    andyt

Cheapest way to GSIF2

Since it really seems unlikely now that ESI Systems will be producing GSIF2 drivers for the product range (despite lots of requests and posts on their forum), I'm in the market for a GSIF 2 sound card.

Saw a good deal in SOS this week.

The Echo MiaMidi is on available for about £79 (pounds sterling) ... (from digitalvillage)

Anyone know of a cheaper GSIF2, multi- driver sound card ?
    Can anyone comment on the MIAmidi?

Re: Cheapest way to GSIF2

Another nice option in the same price league is the Audiophile 2496 with drivers for ASIO, GSIF2, WDM.

Yep. Those are the two value cards. I own the MIA (sans MIDI), and it works great with GS3 on my Athlon XP system with the new drivers.

For cheapest, the 2496 usually wins. I like the four virtual stereo outputs and the balanced I/O of the MIA cards. I much prefer the 1/4" TRS connectors to RCA phono jacks.

Both are great cards. You can't go wrong with either.

-JF

I'll just add another vote for the 2496. Wonderful card for the money. Haven't had a lick of trouble in the 2 years I've owned mine.

And another vote for the audiophile 2496! Cheap and solid! But more cheaper is to buy gigastudio vst adapter from FX-max, then you won't need an audio card at all!

andyt

Oh thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm looking it up right now.

andyt

Quote Originally Posted by Resident
    And another vote for the audiophile 2496! Cheap and solid! But more cheaper is to buy gigastudio vst adapter from FX-max, then you won't need an audio card at all!
    I didn't think GVA would allow you to get audio into GS3. I thought it was just to get audio out. And anyways rewire does that.

I tried GVA when it first came, and found it terribly unstable ...

andyt

the release notes for the 2496 state ..... " Please note GS3 users must change the bit depth to 24 bit within Gigastudio3 before using the application with this driver)"

Have you found this to be a problem since implementing GSIF2? Does it effect performance ? Reduce polyphony ?

In my ESI Wamirack, there are 5 stereo pairs to choose from when it comes to assigning outputs.

- MIAmidi seems to have 2 stereo pairs, right ?
    - 2496 seems to have one stereo pair, right ?

Thanks for any more insights you can provide.

No not a problem at all, all works fine and stable!

Yes the audiophile does have 1 steropair analog
    or 1 stereopair spdif.

Greetings Resident.

andyt

Hi Resident, thanks for the info.

The main differences I can discern between the M-Audio card and the Echo are:

- dynamic range of echo seems to be better at 110db versus 104db for the audiophile.
    - the echo has multi-driver capability, meaning I can use it for GS3 and Cubase simulateously on the same PC ..... can the audiophile do this ?
    - echo has 8 virtual channels .. versus
    - the audiophile forces GS£ to run internally at 24bits, not 32.

but the Mia costs £80 versus £60 for the Audiophile.

It seems to me the Echo has a slightly better spec, and for £20 extra, the better value.

thanks for your advice

Go Back to forum