• Register
  • Help

Topic: Guy is Radium 61 a good match for Bosendorfer 290 and other new piano samples?

Share/Bookmark

Guy is Radium 61 a good match for Bosendorfer 290 and other new piano samples?

Hi!
    I have a doubt...I read a lot about velocity layers for pianos and all that and also read about tocuh sensitive keyboards. Now, my question is how do I know that a certain midi controller keyboard like the Radium 61 has all the velocity "layers" that my piano has? For instance the PMI 290 has 6 layers...is the Radium 61 capable of using each of those layers? Do I make sense? :-)
    Regards

Re: Guy is Radium 61 a good match for Bosendorfer 290 and other new piano samples?

OT: FYI...

Don't reply on connecting via USB. I have 2 Rad61's at the studio and not one will connect via USB2.0. I have spoken with MAudio 100 and 1 times. They don't have an answer.

Best
    FB
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: Guy is Radium 61 a good match for Bosendorfer 290 and other new piano samples?

Hi Shaolin95,

The Radium 61 is capable of inputting all velocity layers. You will be missing 27 keys though and it is not weighted so you'll also be missing a realistic piano feel when using the keyboard.

My opinion also is that it's keyboard feel isn't the greatest IMHO. This is very subjective though. I have found that the Radium controllers do not really respond consistently to velocity and I believe that it is due to a cheap design on its keyboard mechanisms. For instance, if I hit a key at a particular velocity, it is registered as a velocity of 75. If I hit the same key a second later at approximately the same velocity, it is registered as a velocity of 120. I do this same test with a regular synth (even an older one like a D-50) and the velocity is consistent to within a range of 10 (ie the second one is between 70 and 80).

If your main concern is playing piano, I would recommend that you look at 88-note controllers that are of higher quality. There is another thread in this section regarding this. If price is an issue, you can possibly find a used one for a not bad price (although possibly not as cheap as the Radium 61).

HTH,
    FV

Yeah unforuntately price is a big concern as I was able to find it at $169 new. I was also looking at the Edirol PCR-80 which is more expensive but seems to be better. I want to use it to control all my sampled instruments not just piano for piano I will get something better (88 keys first of all) when I have some free money. At the moment I just need the cheapes thing that I can get to start creating some music so any suggestion is acceptable (btw, I also have an old Korg X3 but its back in Puerto Rico where I use to live).
    Regards

Thumbs up Re: Guy is Radium 61 a good match for Bosendorfer 290 and other new piano samples?

I really like mine. I had a problem with the USB and midi outs going out, but I sent it back, they fixed it and it hasn't had a problem since. I think Bela also had the same problem around the same time I did. I haven't had the "velocity" problems. You are "missing 27 keys" but there is an octave switch that lets you extend your keyboard up and down 3 octaves each. This means you can cover more than the sounds of the "88 keys" on the piano. If this is strictly for piano, it is okay - not great. It is "synth weighted" which has some spring to it. It doesn't have any piano feel to it though. I use mine for all of the different synths and sounds I have - not just piano - and it works really well. The USB does work on mine (though I am not sure what Bela is talking about). My sl990 broke and this was my temporary replacement (but I wouldn't trade it for any other 61 key keyboard). I would definitely say it is a good choice for general purpose.
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

I am now thinking about saving a little more and getting an Edirol PCR-80 as it seems to be highly regarded.

Go Back to forum