• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Sign Here :: Logic 7 is worthless :-(

Share/Bookmark

Sign Here :: Logic 7 is worthless :-(

I have tried and tried to justify using our dear new friend APPLE Logic Pro 7.

Today, i had 36 crashes in 9 hours of work. My throat is soar from screaming at the screen.

How can this be ?? Logic has always been rock solid ... if there was a major bug with a new release, Emagic would address the issue IMMEDIATLY!

Now, Apple has released a complete disaster.

I switched back to 6.4 - some files will no longer open, a few cues i will need to almost start from scratch.

Anyone else comment on their L7 experience, i know Sharmy has also shelved it - curious if we are the only ones here.

Scott

Re: Sign Here :: Logic 7 is worthless :-(

Quote Originally Posted by SWL
    a few cues i will need to almost start from scratch.
    Scott
    Almost from scratch? I assume Logic 7 is able to export a midi file?

Cubase SX works great - you should try it. Plugin delay compensation is lovely and it can run it in parallel with Nuendo through VST System Link and keep sample-accurate timing on two machines.

I'm currently working on a cue for an indie feature - one of eight bumpers, cues and other sundries that have been on-going with both machines running more than two weeks without so much as a hiccup. Between that and my Tascam FW-1884, I feel like I'm running on hardware again - except I don't have to clean and calibrate (and overbias) the tape decks every ten hours of run time.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

I wouldn't go as far as to say Logic 7 is useless at all, but it does have one major problem: . on the 10-key (Go To Position) no longer remembers what you last typed in. Unfortunately, I went back to v.6 to finish the first cue I started in Logic 7 because of that seemingly small bug.

But they'll sort it all out. It's a pretty substantial update, I think, and I'm glad to see that Apple is serious about improving the program.

SWL, Logic 6.4.3 will open Logic 7 files. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll email it to you.

recording@earthlink.net

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    Almost from scratch? I assume Logic 7 is able to export a midi file?
    Yes yes, of course - but i started new cues with new L7 instruments (sculpture, etc) - not to mention - 45%midi 55%audio - so it will not be easy - rebuilding the cues.

I have tried and tried to justify using our dear new friend APPLE Logic Pro 7.

Today, i had 36 crashes in 9 hours of work. My throat is soar from screaming at the screen.

How can this be ?? Logic has always been rock solid ... if there was a major bug with a new release, Emagic would address the issue IMMEDIATLY!

Now, Apple has released a complete disaster.

I switched back to 6.4 - some files will no longer open, a few cues i will need to almost start from scratch.

Anyone else comment on their L7 experience, i know Sharmy has also shelved it - curious if we are the only ones here.

Scott
    No, I love it! Chuck out all your 6.x prefs, don't use the 7 scroll bars and you should be fine. For some reason, if you go to a AU (validated or not) and immediately touch a scroll bar you'll likely get a crash. Is that the problem for you do you think?
    The only thing I am unhappy with is that I can't get Garageband or Logic 6.anything to open now, but as my version of 7 is stable (except for the known scroll bar issue), and any song I had in either can open in 7, I can live with that. Apparently others have the scroll bar problem , but no-one else seems to suffer from the Garageband, Logic 6 initialize crash.

So...chuck out old preferences.

Make sure the files paths are set up the new way (check the Late Breaking news PDF to see the routing). and make sure your 6 files are where 7 wants them.

Repair permissions

Avoid the scroll bar (if you have a scroll wheel use it for up/down, command + scroll wheel for Left/right, alt + scroll wheel for region height +-, alt + command+ scroll wheel for region width +-, or command arrow keys for width height adjustments)
    Hopefully that should prevent your crashes.
    Good luck!

Hey!

Craig,

I'm ording RMX update next week, more temptation to work in Crashville. Drag n drop, eh? From the plug ??

Uhggg - I really wish i could use 7 - If you cant tell - i had a really bad day - and all directly related to L7.

I also have Nuendo2 - but use it's simply for mixing/post - i have no templates built for writing -----

Hey Nick - really they open for you ??? I tried to open a few and got an endless stream of pop-up errors ... and just forced quit. Is Emagic's site still open ??? I just have the original install CD of Pro6.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Which Mac are you currently using? Do your plugs all validate fine? I used Logic Pro 7 in a small project recently and I only had one crash. This was a small project though and involved about 2 and a half days' worth of work in total. For me, I usually don't begin to rely on any major upgrade of most software until at least a minor revision has gone through. Usually, the most pesky bugs are removed by then. Since I didn't have a tight deadline for this, I decided to see how L7 would behave in an 8-12 hour day. It went pretty well for me but I didn't use that many 3rd party plugs. I used Atmosphere, Trilogy, and Kontakt as the main 3rd party stuff in addition to Logic's built-in. I mixed separately outside of Logic.

I certainly can feel your pain though. A few months back I was having constant crashes in Logic 6.x. It turns out that my memory was bad. If Logic 6 is stable for you, that probably isn't it though but it might be worth checking anyway using that hardware utils that came with your Mac.

Incidentally, in case you weren't aware of this already, you'll need the latest version of Logic Pro 6 (I believe it is 6.4.3) in order to open a Logic Pro 7 file. Logic 6.4.1 or 6.4.2 won't open L7 files. Are these files damaged? Do none of the backups (did you have autobackup turned on?) open either? Can they be opened in Logic 7?

Did you start with a brand new autoload? I rebuilt one of my templates prior to beginning that Logic Pro 7 project. It is something that I typically do with every major upgrade to Logic. I've found that it keeps me stable and allows me to clean things up that I might not be inclined to do otherwise.

Anyhow, I hope that this helps a bit. I know that there have been some on the Logic User Group who have brought up frequent crashes but there have been others who have said that it's been pretty stable for them also. I haven't used it long enough to say one way or the other.

HTH,
    FV

Houston, I believe that this thread is for feedback from Logic users, thank you.

Yes, there are some very annoying things with the new version of Logic. You can read all the fun stuff here. Just a few minutes ago, I was b*tching at my computer, as Logic refused to unlock a MIDI region (bug). But worthless? Nah. There are enough good things about 7 for me to use it everyday while I'm working on a tv series gig. Believe me, I have no time to waste, deadlines coming at me one after the other. The good news is that, yes, I'm making some dough with new baby 7. It doesn't crash on me, and I my template has 80+ tracks (not all at the same time) of GPOs, EXS24s, RMXs, Space Designers, etc, etc, etc. I usually read my email and surf the web while it's bouncing audio.

If you are having too hard a time with this version, just go back to 6.4 and wait for the next update.

Go Back to forum