• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mac Crackle Dual Processor issue? corrupt .gpo file?

Share/Bookmark

Mac Crackle Dual Processor issue? corrupt .gpo file?

Having read a post of Tom Hopkins where he told a windows user to turn off hyper-threading, I used CHUD and disabled one of my processors. I loaded the .gpo file I have had trouble with and sure enough, in the Kontakt player, crackle is almost gone, only sometimes at the start and finish of a note.

Could the GPO file be corrupted an any way? if I open GPO Studio and load one instrument, it works fine. Also If I opened my saved .gpo file and deleted the instruments in 1 of the 3 players, the remaining two would play without crackle. If I opened another play and added instruments, everything played fine.

Back in finale, with a 4 or 5 channel piece the crackling/popping was almost nonexistent with one processor. Even with the troublesome .gpo file it was minimal. I could pause in the middle of a song, add the second processor back on and the popping started immediately, at least once per measure. In the single processor mode, finale was alloted from 8 to 12%. (I guess this shows how wrong I was in my other post.)

Ambience is bypassed during this time.

I hope this helps whomever is trying to fix this issue.

Seems sad to have machine that you have to disable one processor because of a program that will not work well with both of them working. But to put things in perspective, at least I can use the program with both processors, unlike Apple's own APack, which will not even run with both processors going.
    Jim

GPO, Finale 2006, Powermac Dual G4, 2 Gig ram, OS 10.4.1

Re: Mac Crackle Dual Processor issue? corrupt .gpo file?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmol
    I used CHUD and disabled one of my processors.
    Can you explain this. Have no idea how to do it.

Björn

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrom
    Can you explain this. Have no idea how to do it.

Björn
    CHUD is an Apple Development tool that comes on the 4th disk of Panther or as a free download from <http://developer.apple.com/tools/performance/>, the middle of the page. It is usually used to help program writers find problems with programs. Just download it and install it in your computer. It will put a "control" panel in the bottom of your System Preferences called Processor. Open this panel and you have several options. One is to select single or dual processor mode, another is to disable your L2 or L3 catch (which makes the crackle worse, by the way) and the last is to make this appear in the menu bar. (I could not find a NAP option as mentioned in other posts though I thought I have seen it in the past.) If you select this you will see the icon of two processors in the right of your menu bar with a 2 over a 3 on the left side of the icon.
    Changing processor modes can be done on the fly, in the middle of playback - though I paused my song to change.
    If you quit all other programs, start up GPO and Finale, open your score then go to single processor mode (don't forget to bypass Ambience) you should be able to get 5 independent channels ( I have yet to figure out what an instance is) of sound. I suspect you can get more but have not tested it yet.

The following is an opinion based on posts, not technical knowledge:
    I suspect the trouble on the macs is because of Kompakt - several threads at NI mention it uses more CPU than other similar programs (though I do not know which ones- MIDI controllers?) if I understood the posts right, it is because of the encryption of the instruments or program- better to protect the company than have it stolen the posts say. And if the posts are any indication of the company, it is unlikely that it will be fixed anytime soon. It is the opinion of many, in the Kompakt forum, that NI will add features rather than fix bugs - take all this post stuff for what it is worth - maybe I read all the wrong posts. Then on top of that, we are mac users, a minority who use a different, though very secure and virus free, platform. Maybe Gary's educational partnership with Berkley College of Music, which requires mac laptops of their students, will help him light a fire under NI to work on Kompakt - if that is indeed the problem.

Now we return you to the facts:
    CHUD has been indispensable to us Final Cut Pro/DVD Studio Pro users. APack, the program Apple developed to produce ACC stereo or surround sound files for your DVD (this allows more video on the DVD). When Apple or whoever developed this program, it must have done so on a single processor computer because when dual processors came out, we found the program would not work. I might start up, but as soon as it started to process a sound track, it would crash. So when we want to use this program, we go to single processor mode.

(It puts many other things in a folder called Development or Developer (I am writing this at home) that can be interesting to use. One program will track the hang time of a program, such as when GPO Studio starts up. When the opening screen is just sitting there GPO Studio is temporarily hanging - something may be happening, but not as fast as Apple thinks it should, so this one program (forgot the name) will keep track of the hang time, keep track of what the program is trying to do. In theory, Gary would look at these results to see if his program is justified in "hanging" - such as the time it takes in loading Kompakt, which he has no control over - or if something else is happening that he can fix. Another program follows the threads of code a program is using. Another, Big Top, I believe, shows processor use in graphic form for the system, user, programs and activities. Great stuff if you are a developer - which I am not - or just want to see how things happen and how dual/single processors, L2 or L3 catches effect your program.)

I had better stop rambling before I tick (unintentionally) any more people off.

Hope some of this helps.
    Jim

Thank you jimmol for a detailed explanation.
    I have downloaded chud from my Tool Kit CD, but I cant find the "processor" anywhere?

Björn

I have downloaded chud from my Tool Kit CD, but I cant find the "processor" anywhere?
    You have to install it and CHUD will put it in the System Preferences bottom row under other. The package you are looking to install is CHUD_4.0.1.dmg.bin or similar.
    Jim

You have to install it and CHUD will put it in the System Preferences bottom row under other. The package you are looking to install is CHUD_4.0.1.dmg.bin or similar.
    I did install but no Processor. Tried installing from the website, but it was closed down. Tried to update from the updater in chud. OK! But it wanted to install it in Toast!!! Manage to open it via stuffit. To installing it I had to uninstall the old chud. When I tried to instll it I had to install the tool kit first. At last I got it and now the processor was there.

Changed to Single CPU, but unfortunately there were no difference from before.

Now I changed to Dual CPU, but nothing happend! I still only have one processor! Must I restart to make it work? I hope this wasn´t a mistake.

Björn

I did have to restart to get both processors working.

One thing I saw is that GPO takes a huge amount of CPU even if I don´t work with it. Only that it is opened is enough to take 75%.

Björn

Just my two cents:

I have one of my GPO on a Mac dual 1.25 Mh/ 2GB RAM and the other on a PC 2.8 Mh./2 GB Ram. I did compare the performance -with the same RME Multiface- and not only the PC (with Hypertreading disabled) gives me a much better performance (at least two times as much voices without crackles) but Sibelius and Cubase on the Mac are becoming sluggish and slow which is not the case on the PC. I do not use any kind of FX on any of this systems, because I do use my hardware Lexicon for adding reverb, at least for MIDI. I would like to know if this better on more powerfull Mac's?

Iwan

One thing I saw is that GPO takes a huge amount of CPU even if I don´t work with it. Only that it is opened is enough to take 75%.
    Björn
    Make sure you have all players closed and are bypassing ambience. Today I reverted to soundfonts to work on a project in Finale. 7 channels. Then I used an empty player and selected only the instruments I would use. It worked fine only using 70% CPU for GPO. Maybe part depends on the instruments that are loaded.
    Jim

Make sure you have all players closed and are bypassing ambience. Today I reverted to soundfonts to work on a project in Finale. 7 channels. Then I used an empty player and selected only the instruments I would use. It worked fine only using 70% CPU for GPO. Maybe part depends on the instruments that are loaded.
    Off course I don´t have instrument loaded that I don´t need, but if the piece needs a lot of instruments.......well, they have to be loaded.

Björn

Go Back to forum