• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Will GS3 work with Midi Yoke virtual midi drivers?

Share/Bookmark

Will GS3 work with Midi Yoke virtual midi drivers?

Anyone knows if GS3 runs with the Midi Yoke virtual midi drivers installed?

I once tried GS 2.5 and it would eat up all cpu if these virtual drivers were installed; very strange bug. With some searches I found out other people had encountered the same problem. It has been one reason for choosing Kontakt at the time.

Any other virtual midi cables arround?

I really need this for gigging/rehearsing since when I put my laptop to standby it will loose connection with external midi devices. Starting up would mean giga looses it's connection with the keyboard and it can only be restored by restarting the application (incl. loading of samples which can take a while, that's not something the other musicians like waiting on). With virtual cables I can get arround this problem. But GS2.5 just wouldn't work with the cables installed! Very frustating.

So how about GS3?

Re:usb midi connection

Is'nt really a answer to your question , but i see on difference between virtual usb midi and single midi port during Gs3 utilisation .

I work with this USB /midi driver "YAMAHA USB-MIDI Driver V2.0.9" for S90 Keyboard

Gigastudio 2.5 no problem , with GS3 , I must start with "default configuration " and look if midi transmit ok , if not I stop and restart "audio engine buton , and after ok . . . I load my gsp file .

Before , I started gigastudio 2.5 only by click on a gsp file . . .

I wait next update !

Re: Will GS3 work with Midi Yoke virtual midi drivers?

Ah. Thanks. The restart audio engine function might pick it up. I'd still need the virtual cable to do some midi-preprocessing by a self-made midi-program. But maybe I could make a vst out of it, since GS3 hosts vsts. Does GS3 allow to use vst's to process midi before it reaches the sample-engine?

If you're not running on batteries, there's no reason to have your system go into standby mode

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    If you're not running on batteries, there's no reason to have your system go into standby mode
    The reason for using the standy mode is so I can take the laptop to a gig or rehearsal, get it out of standy and be up and running within seconds instead of fully starting xp, starting programs, loading samples, etc, which would take minutes.

Never heard ovff midioverlan from musiclab? This is a virtual midicable which can run via a network cable or via a local pipe! I used to work with midiyoke because you can download it for free. But i had lots of problems with the yoke since it is not specifically written for WinXP. Midioverlan is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Resident
    Never heard ovff midioverlan from musiclab? This is a virtual midicable which can run via a network cable or via a local pipe! I used to work with midiyoke because you can download it for free. But i had lots of problems with the yoke since it is not specifically written for WinXP. Midioverlan is much better.
    Thanks for that idea! I just assumed it would always go over lan, but I see it has more uses. I think it is a bit expensive for the little thing it does (compared to what gs3 does for the money), but at least it is an option.

Hallo!

<Dutch talk follows>

Hallo!

No, not any better than gs 2.5 did. The Maple midi works fine, however; and you can use midi yoke on the other computer, just not on the same one as gs3. So using the midi over ethernet as provided by midi-utilities-for-windows, you don't need any extra midi connection: the ethernet midi goes straight to the gigastudio port. Where you need a midi virtual connection is with your sequencer.

So you can have, for example:

computer 1: sonar (the sequencer I use, presumably others work just as well)
    midi yoke
    midi ethernet client (from the midi utilities)

computer 2: midi ethernet server (from the midi utilities)
    gigastudio 3
    audio out by a sound card (audiophile 24/96 for me)

computer 1: audio in by a sound card (audiophile 24/96 again for me)
    sonar (recording the audio output from computer 2, plus extra things like vsampler on computer 1 and an external synthesizer driven by the audiophile midi output port).

Works perfectly well, gets you 8 full midi ports across the ethernet plus another physical midi on the m-audio audiophile 24/96. The reason I don't do this is because I have kept a copy of gs2.5 on my computer 1 (for those setups for which the program change failures of gs3 are too big a problem) -- and midi yoke and gs 2.5 or gs3.0 do not work well together.

Go Back to forum