• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question: How to route audio on three computers

Share/Bookmark

Question: How to route audio on three computers

I currently have a two computer setup with a Gina24 card on my first computer and a Mia Midi on the second. The Mia is connected to the SPDIF input on the Gina24 card and this works fine.

I am trying to bring a third computer into this. It's basically the same as the second computer and has a MiaMidi card.

How can I route the digital audio on the third computer back to the first computer?

Do I go through the second computer or directly to the first?

Do I connect the Mia SPDIF output on the third computer to the SPDIF input on the second computer? I tried this but all I get is noise.

I want to keep all of these connections in the digital domain.

By the way, the first two computers are working on Midi Over Lan and I am trying to get the third computer into this circuit.

Thanks.

Marko

Re: Question: How to route audio on three computers

For anyone who is interested, it seems that I got this to work. It's basically what I stated in the first post. I have the third computer connected via SPDIF to the second computer which goes via SPDIF into the first.

However, I am getting popping sounds from the third computer. I believe I have to adjust the buffer settings on the soundcard.

Anyone know about these buffer settings on an Echo Mia or Gina?

Marko

Thumbs up Re: Question: How to route audio on three computers

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    For anyone who is interested, it seems that I got this to work. It's basically what I stated in the first post. I have the third computer connected via SPDIF to the second computer which goes via SPDIF into the first.

However, I am getting popping sounds from the third computer. I believe I have to adjust the buffer settings on the soundcard.

Anyone know about these buffer settings on an Echo Mia or Gina?

Marko
    Are you using the 2 slave computers for VST's? If so, I would suggest FX-Teleport. It allows you to port audio over LAN. It is extremely easy to use and is a great time saver. I would suggest a GB network though (cards and router).

However if your way is working, then you may as well keep it.

Good luck,

Christiaan

Re: Question: How to route audio on three computers

Thanks Christiaan,

It seems to be running all right, but I still need to find the optimal buffer settings.

On my first machine I run Cakewalk Home Studio and Gigastudio, in the second I have Kontack and Gigastudio (I don't run these simultaneously on the one computer) and on the third machine I have Kontakt.

It's nice being able to work with Gigastudio on one computer and Kontakt on the other at the same time. I added the third computer so that I would have more polyphony when I need it. (I am not even sure that I need it!)

I have thought about FX Teleport and have read good things about it. I would have to get faster network cards for sure. At this point I am not ready to invest more in my computers.

Marko

Go Back to forum