• Register
  • Help

Topic: Before I take the plunge...

Share/Bookmark

Red face Before I take the plunge...

I will be purchasing the parts for my Giga specific PC this week. Here's what I've come up with. I'm still iffy on the motherboard so if someone can help me out with that it would be appreciated.

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe -Intel 865PE MCH / ICH5R sest DDR400 AGP8X,5PCI LAN Audio 400/533/800 MHZ ATX -with cpu - Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott 1MB CACHE 800FSB 478 Pin with Heatsink Fan & 256MB PC3200 MEMORY.

- OR -

Asus P4P800 SE 865PE MCH / ICH5R Chipset DDR400 5PCI 1AGP 8X/4X 400/533/800FSB Audio ATX with cpu - Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott 1MB CACHE 800FSB 478 Pin with Heatsink Fan & 256MB PC3200 MEMORY

(2) 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz RAM

250 GB WD Caviar SE 7200 RPM, 8 MB Cache, Serial ATA Hard Drive (Samples)
    80 GB WD Caviar SE 7200 RPM, 8 MB Cache, Serial ATA Hard Drive (OS)

Sapphire RADEON 9250 256MB 128bit DDR AGP8X DVI/TVO (Video Card)

Lite-On 16x Internal Double-Layer DVD+/-RW Drive

Windows Xp home OEM

I'm getting an Antec case. I had a link for it but now the link doesn't work so I'm going to have to search for another one.

- ALSO -

I'm still undecided on an audio interface and monitor. Any suggestions?

Am I heading in the right direction?

Thanks for any input

Re: Before I take the plunge...

Looks good to me but I have no experience with that particulat MB. I would go with 2 gig of RAM if you can swing it and I wouldn't scrimp woth generic brands- I use Corsair matched pairs. The quality of the RAM is critical IMHO.

Ray - Thanks for the input. I'm not up to speed from a nuts and bolts standpoint so I'm having a guy from work help me out with putting my PC together. Let me know what I should be getting as opposed to the "generic brands". Thanks

Since you plan on using SATA, I have two suggestions.

The first, and with the least change to your system would be to get a P4c800 motherboard instead. The p4c uses the i875 chipset and thus uses the bridgee on the motherboard for SATA, not the PCI bus.

The other suggestion, and one that will benefit more in the long term, is to look at the LGA versions of the P4, with an i925 chipset. I am sure Lee Blaske will be able to help you with suggestions there much more than i can.
    The reason for i925 is it has a more fully featured SATA implemenation, that some drives are already geared to take advantage of. This is useful allowing how important hard drive speed is to giga. You'll see quite a few threads about it if you look around.

Steve

I use Corsair brand and I buy them in matched pairs. Some people swear by Kingston, but I have no experience with them.

Yea, don't skimp on the ram bro.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Question Re: Before I take the plunge...

Thanks for the replies everybody. Now I'm confused on the motherboard thing. Which specific motherboard to I go for? Do the processor and the motherboard go hand in hand? Or are they purchased seperately?

I'm lost

Go Back to forum