• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Logic 7 - GPO Tutorial by Kevin Rix

Share/Bookmark

Logic 7 - GPO Tutorial by Kevin Rix

The long-awaited GPO Logic Tutorial is now available! Here is the link:

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO..._tutorial.html

Kevin Rix has authorized this informative tutorial designed to help GPO Users get started with Logic 7. The release of Logic 7 is especially important. Finally the Logic reset to "0" bug has been fixed so that the mode wheel no longer resets when you hit stop.

If any Logic 7 users have anything they would like to add to the tutorial, or any other tutorials they would like to see, please let me know.

Many thanks to Kevin Rix for an outstanding job.

Gary Garritan

Re: Logic 7 - GPO Tutorial by Kevin Rix

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    The long-awaited GPO Logic Tutorial is now available!
    That loads GPO as a stereo instrument. Shouldn't that be Multi? This way you can not set individual effects on all 8 GPO channels.

Or am I missing something?

(Btw, I did the following tutorial about multi-instruments:multi-stuff If you think it's useful I can redo the screen shots using GPO.)

V.

TennesseeVic, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to about the multis.

Your tutorial on setting up Audio Instruments in Logic is well done. I think it would be of enormous help for GPO/Logic users if you could redo screenshots using GPO.

Thanks for the offer and I appreciate your willingness to help other users.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeVic
    That loads GPO as a stereo instrument. Shouldn't that be Multi? This way you can not set individual effects on all 8 GPO channels.

Or am I missing something?

(Btw, I did the following tutorial about multi-instruments:multi-stuff If you think it's useful I can redo the screen shots using GPO.)

V.

Finally a clear perspective on using Multi Instruments in Logic, and it's from
    TennesseeVic, which makes Kevin's description wrong, unless there's been a change in Logic 7 in Muti Instruments perspective.
    Can somenone confirm that Logic 7 is capable of handling Multi Instruments
    as it's described in Kevin's manual ???
    Thanks
    http://baleswebpage.com/

Hi Kevin:

A very, well-done tutorial. Now the BIG question--

What type of Mac do you run GPO on (CPU/RAM) and how many instruments are you able to play at one time with Logic 7?

John
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    TennesseeVic, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to about the multis.
    GPO is a multi-timbral instrument, but the way Kevin loads it as a Stereo instrument in Logic, unless something has changed in Logic 7, all the 8 instruments are piped through one stereo channel. Which is fine to some extent (you can do panning in the GPO Player), but doesn't work if you want to have individual EQing or effects send per instrument. In that case (at least in Logic 5/6) you have to load GPO as a Multi instrument, and do a lot of hassle with AUX channels to get an individual output for each of the instruments.

Victor.

Question Re: Logic 7 - GPO Tutorial by Kevin Rix

Can anyone help a Logic Newbie ? - Concerning the tutorial, when i reach step 11 I can't set the second track to Inst 1/MIDI Ch.2 without the first track following this command as well.I've been using GPO 1 player at a time only. Is this an environment issue?

Never mind - figured it out.

Gary,

Kevin Rix responded:
    "There are two ways to load GPO in Logic. The first way is to load it as a "stereo" plugin. This is the quickest way to get GPO up and running in Logic, however all the instruments of one GPO instance are pumped through the same outputs of the Logic instrument track which has the GPO plug loaded. Since this is a quickstart tutorial, it makes sense to give the user a minimal amount of steps to start enjoying GPO. In addition, the tutorial gets the user up and running without having to open Logic's audio environment.

The other way is to load it as a "multi" plug in. This enables the user to allocate each GPO instrument, within a single instance, to a different output sources via aux channels. This could be a tutorial on its own as it takes some time to properly map out Logic's environment with aux channels to match each GPO instrument.

As you know Logic is an extensive program. There can be a number of tutorials for Logic GPO users.

1. using GPO as a multi-instruments
    2. Building a custom GPO environment in Logic
    3. using GPO with Space Designer
    4. Setting up GPO templates in Logic
    5. setting up GPO ensembles in Logic
    6. etc.
    Hope this helps...

Kevin
    I think for the pursposes Kevin wrote this tutorial, as a Quick Start, this is an excellent guide. More tutorials are needed and we can now focus on other Logic tutorials as well. If anyone else wants to contribute we welcome your help.

Gary Garritan

I think the only small question about the Logic Tutorial is that when you set up a second track to access the same instrument, if you change track two's channel, then track one's channel also gets changed to the same as track 2. So there's no independent control of choosing a channel.

And that's the benefit of Tennessee's multi tutorial.

There is another post on NS that details how to set up a multi with GPO...it is slightly different from Tennessee's but still got the same result. I searched but now I can't find it...

Go Back to forum