• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Giga V3.3 - memory configuration

Share/Bookmark

Giga V3.3 - memory configuration

I was very excited to see the new memory configuration.

I had previoulsy tried the "Mathias Tweak" with miserable results. I thought probably because i'm not computer savvy enough and I just didn't know what I was doing.

But having tried the new facility on all three settings recommended for 1GB+ machines it all went horribly wrong. each time I rebooted with the new settings the display settings were all over the place - poor colours huge icons - and either I was immediately frozen or nothing would respond and if I tried to open any application a message would say no memory. Each time I had to reboot in safe mode and restore my settings.

So the new memory manager is no good for me and I'm stuck with being able to only access about 650mb = 42% of my available memory.

Clearly i am not computer savvy enough but has anyone any ideas?
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Unhappy Re: Giga V3.3 - memory configuration

That's curious ... I get 767Mb out of 1023Mb total on my Asus P4G8X (dual channel) without any tweaking ...

Maybe a motherboard related stuff ???

Jean-Guy

Re: Giga V3.3 - memory configuration

Preset #4 corrupted my RAID 0 hard drive. Refused to boot after this. I had to completely reinstall. Lost tons of work!!!!!! Please PLEASE back up everything important before messing with these memory tweaks!!!!!!!!!!

Best,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JBacal
    Preset #4 corrupted my RAID 0 hard drive. Refused to boot after this. I had to completely reinstall. Lost tons of work!!!!!! Please PLEASE back up everything important before messing with these memory tweaks!!!!!!!!!!

Best,
    Jay
    Boy that's scary - you'd think they'd provide a bit more info with the release.
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Data should be backed up at all times, no matter what. I've had system crashes due to both hardware & software and never lost data because it was backed up. If I hadn't been backed up, the data loss would have been my fault.

G

Please be carefull when using the memory tweak presets. I tried them and now I have corrupted files in the computer. I've spent all morning trying to fix them and now it looks like I am going to have to do a system restore. luckily I was able to back up my stuff.

I also tried re enabling hyperthreading. It seems to work if I start my sonar first then open giga as a rewire insert. I am not able to open giga by itself. I have a sony vaio, xp media edition, pentium 3.4, ati radeon x600, high defination audio, 2 gig ram,
    Hope this helps

andyt

My computer went unstable. Have re-set to default XP settings.

Wow, I went okay with the memory tweak (can now use 959 meg), but its the hyperthreading that killed me. Instant reboot when I tried to start GS3. *shrug*
    Its days like this that I actually sit back and envy mac users.
    *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by JBacal
    Thanks for the heads up. Was this NTFS? Was it the system and/or the sample RAID that got toasted?

I set a system restore point before tweeking. I recommend this despite those who make a good case for killing system restore itself (for better permormance).

With 2 gb Ram I am now getting over 1.2gb with preset #1 (66%). Before I ran the tweek I was at just 550 MB.

Always backup you registry (or set a restore point) before you use invasive tools like this.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast