• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Music from Me: Game Cinematic Music

Share/Bookmark

Cool New Music from Me: Game Cinematic Music

Things have been slow around here, so I am posting some new music for y'all to abuse:
    http://www2.hku.nl/%7Ejnd/files/user...rkandlight.mp3

Maarten from Project SAM has posted this music here:
    http://www.projectsam.com/userdemos.html
    Which is the Project SAM site:
    http://www.projectsam.com/
    Naturally I use the fantastic SAM's Brass and percussion, and I will soon have a review of SAM's Solo Brass posted on the MUSIC4GAMES site, possibly with another short demo featuring the Solo Brass.

This music was for a game cinematic where the action and scenery were constantly changing, which made it fun to compose to. I was going through a Shore appreciation period, so there is a hint of Middle Earth in there. Which is fine, because it was for a fantasy game. Because it was back-score, it goes much better with the movie, particularly because there are music accents for on-screen action (like trolls punching the ground and dragonriders flying...the usual).
    As a side note, I am writing a feature about getting the "Hollywood Sound" with sample based instruments, and without a doubt, with this music, I was going for a Hollywood stage orchestra sound. With an even more recent work of over 9 minutes, I really polish this approach and document my findings. More on that later.
    Anyway, I hope you enjoy the music. It would be even better with the movie, but I can't post 58 megs of movie, sorry...
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Re: New Music from Me: Game Cinematic Music

Hey...VERY GOOD! I actually started thinking when the flute started playing at 01:17 that the lotr theme would begin(since you mentioned middle earth)anyway... Talk about great orchestration! You would be a perfect composer for world of warcraft. I think your orchestrations is way better than the person scoring the game.

Tell us all about the process and samples used. What choir is that? How long did it take? What synth pad is that at the beginning? It's perfect, no remarks on the song....love the snares playing, love the tom toms, the horns. Everything is perfect.

"As a side note, I am writing a feature about getting the "Hollywood Sound" with sample based instruments"
    Are you writing? That's swell of you to do. I could really learn alot from you. I was thinking about making hollywood orchestration for the true strike competition but GS 3 is not working properly.anyway

Good good job. Hours well spent!

Re: New Music from Me: Game Cinematic Music

I have to out for a day or two, but when I get back, I will answer any or all questions.
    Yes, I am doing a lot of writing lately: both music and text.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Cool Re: New Music from Me: Game Cinematic Music

Quote Originally Posted by Audun_Jemtland
    Hey...VERY GOOD!
    Thank you. I try.

>Tell us all about the process and samples used.

When I release another longer piece, I will go over what was used. Meanwhile...

>What choir is that?

A combination of many choirs: VOTA, Symphony of Voices, Boys Choir (free), others... One of the secrets of a a good orchestral sound is the pruden combination of many libraries, at least for me anyway.

>How long did it take?

About four days, mostly. I am no speed composer.

> What synth pad is that at the beginning?

My trusty DW8000 synth and a custom patch.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Thumbs up Re: New Music from Me: Game Cinematic Music

What a beautiful job you have done ! I enjoyed this piece a lot . The choir use was so excellent and the overall orchestration -> very full and good sound.
    This brought me back good video game memories .Thanks for sharing ( presses play again )
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Go Back to forum