• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TC Powercore

Share/Bookmark

TC Powercore

Does anyone here use the powercore, or any of the products in that line? How do you like it? The plugins that come with it? Is it really worth the money or should I just invest my money into some nice plugins. Can anyone here post a demo of something processed with the Powercore's verb and other effects ect. ect.? I am mainly talking of the Firewire one or the rackmount one.

Thanks,
    Sean R. Beeson

Re: TC Powercore

Hey Sean, I've had one for about three days and its awesome. The reverbs are top notch as are the other effects. I've heard the EQs and compressors are slightly better on the UAD 1 cards but havent heard them first hand to compare.

I went for the Powercore cause it also has the amp modeller and you can buy the Access Virus synth software to run off the card. (On my list of things to get.)

I have had some trouble where sometimes I turn on my computer and the card is not recognised. TC know about and are working on it apparently. There is a thread about it here;

http://www.powercore.noheaven.com/vi...?t=133&start=0

HTH.

Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

UAD? Hmmm. Explain. I must be new to this one.

Thanks Scott!
    Sean

Hi Sean, both the Powercore and the UAD come in two flavours, the UAD-1 card is made by Mackie;

http://www.mackie.com/products/uad1/

The Powercore Element card is almost identical to the full Powercore card but lacks the X3 mastering software.

THe two UAD cards, Studio Pak and Project Pak, I think from memory, differ by about 9 effects. (I think one has 20 effects the other has 11)

TC make the Powercore;

http://www.tcelectronic.com/PowerCoreConcept

Im building a dual CPU host machine soon and plan to have at least one Powercore and one UAD in it. Maybe two of each, you can put 4 cards in a system.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Is the X-3 Software any good? It seems like it is very powerful. Do you like the Masterverb better than impulse verb or even the Lexicon verb? How pro are we talking this reverb is sounding? Maybe a demo please Scott Pwwwweeeeezzzee .

Thanks again,
    Beeson

Its a bit soon to have demos!! Honestly, I am REAL fussy about reverbs and this card ROCKS. It is especially gratifying to have say, three reverbs assigned in your sequencer and have the system CPU at about 10% The quality is better than any software reverb I tried, including Waves IR1 - IR1 is still very cool for the different spaces/ambiences. Just my IMHO though and as I say, havent had the card terribly long to make conclusive judgements. (So maybe I shouldnt've said that.)

The X3 software is very good, the X5 is even better and is only $249 USD;
    http://www.tcelectronic.com/MasterX5

Alright, I do have one demo already done with the card but I cant play it publicly, PM me for a link.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

I'm not knocking them - some people swear by them. However, the Sonalksis compressors are better sounding to me (and many others) than those offered even on the UAD. Also, even though powercore and uad say they don't use cpu resources, both of them do use cpu. It is only after getting multiple UAD cards that the cpu becomes negligible. I have also heard a lot of Sonar users state the freeze function will not unload the Powercore and UAD plugins from the CPU load. I am not trying to be a load of negatism. I have thought long and hard about purchasing one. I am more moved by the Sonalksis stuff now and think that it is a better option. If you are looking for a complete solution, Samplitude v8 (which I am very leaning toward purchasing upon its release) include newly developed plugs (including a compressor by the creator of Blockfish - www.digitalfishphones.com ). It also has an included impulse response reverb that is realtime (unlike SIR). I just think there are better options than the hardware versions. If you get a powercore, get the firewire unit. Other than that, I don't really think the pci card options are that great - especially since the UAD is only worthwhile for the producer pack. The developments of using your GPU to power plugins is probably the most interesting option yet. It won't be available for another quarter or more though.

For the money: Sonalksis compressor and eq - $399
    Princeton Stereo Reverb - $200

For even more advantage, add the Sonalksis dynamic eq and compressor for just a little more. Either way, it comes out better than $799+ for the complete UAD and Powercore options. Heck, the crossgrade to Samplitude v8 will probably be around $500 which is also a better deal than the UAD/PC. Keep in mind this is just my opinion.
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

Hi Jonathan, not negative at all, its good to hear another opinion. I should say though, its my understanding that some effects on the Powercore card will borrow from the system CPU, not all of them.

Both the UAD and Poco cards are not without their issues thats for sure.

I havent heard of the Sonalksis stuff at all, I'll have to check it out.

Scott.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Hey Scott,

You could be right about "some" of the effects on the poco. I know the firewire version is about 3 times as powerful as its pci counterpart and thus may not reflect as much cpu drain on some of the effects. The UADs I know to drain CPU resources regardless of which effect. I think in a dual processor environment that they do not though. I think that is the catch - correct me if I am wrong. The sonalksis stuff is designed by some of the NEVE designers. The compressor can be transparent or have a very nice flavor to it. The site is www.sonalksis.com if you are interested.

PS - thanks for understanding that wasn't a UAD/POCO flame.
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hi Sean, both the Powercore and the UAD come in two flavours, the UAD-1 card is made by Mackie;
    A small correction, Mackie used to be the distributor of the UAD-1, they've never manufactured the card. Universal Audio does that (and handles the distribution now).

http://www.uaudio.com/index.html

In addition there's a nice, informative forum at:

http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/

I've got both the Powercore Element and the UAD-1 and I really like both.
    Generally the UAD-1 excels at modeling vintage equipment like the 1176LN/SE, LA2A and Fairchild compressors, the Pultec EQ and the forthcoming EMT plate reverb. The Powercore's forte is the ClassicVerb, the Tubifex and AC30 gitar amps and softsynths like the Access Virus.
    The two cards compliment eachother very well and I personally rely on them for most of my tracking and mixing.

Go Back to forum