• Register
  • Help

Topic: From sounds from the GPO Updates

Share/Bookmark

From sounds from the GPO Updates

I know, I just posted these a couple of week ago. In the mean time, I went through and changed the instruments out with ones from the update. It took me a while to get the dynamics back in line, but I think I’ve come close. I also think these sound better.

Again, these are the first three movements of St. George and the Dragon. The third movement is a relatively new addition.

1st – The Dragon
    2nd – Funeral March/Lament
    3rd – St. George

The fourth movement, St. George and the Dragon, should be here early next year…

If you listen before, let me know if you think they're better for the update.

(warning - big files)

Here is the post I put up a couple of weeks ago that included these - http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26387
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: From sounds from the GPO Updates

Let me say that GPO sounds GREAT here, particularily the brass (the trumpet fanfares rival the best I've heard from any library).

But...

..it seems the 1st mvmnt is quite a bit inferior in it's realism than the other two which are superb. Was this done when you first got GPO, or is it just prior to the last update?

I would go back and rework that piece to fit the other two.

Thanks for sharing this!

Re: From sounds from the GPO Updates

Trent,

That's a hard one. There are some moments I like better in this version and others I like in the original versions. That's the nature of music. I've heard the same piece by different orchestras and even the same orchestra and it's surprising how different the piece can sound. It would be interesting to get others opinions too. Excellent work. I really enjoyed hearing your work progress over the months.

Gary Garritan

Re: From sounds from the GPO Updates

nexus, thanks for your comments. As you guessed, the first movement was one of the first things I did with GPO. Hopefully I am progressing in my writing and playing as I go along. I’ve been cleaning it up a little and have made a few changes in the couple of days since I posted this, but I think I am going to put it on the back burner for a little while, at least until I finish the fourth movement. Maybe when I’m finished with the whole thing I’ll have a chance to add some more realism to the first movement. Thanks again for the comments.

Gary, yes it is a little different. Not all of the differences are in the new sounds; I also changed the orchestra a little. When I first started working on it I wanted a huge sound so I did some weird doubling, such as three contra bassoons playing one part. Getting rid of the redundancy makes it a little thinner but I think much clearer. Some of the changes are the new sounds, particularly the trumpets. I think the new trumpets are great for this type of music and still came off great in the couple of places I was trying to get a mellower sound. Thanks for the comments and for such a great product.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum