• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gary, A Request

Share/Bookmark

Gary, A Request

I NEED ANVILS.

There, I'm done. I really need some anvils. Some loud nasty hard percussion wouldn't be amiss either. Some big taiko drums.

Also, what do you guys feel about double tracking the timpani with another timpani a few semitones off? I need loud percussion and the guy playing the timpani is already hitting it as hard as he can.

Re: Gary, A Request

I want to do a GPO version of Ballet Mechanique and would like some airplane propellers
    Trent P. McDonald

I'd like you add a Hardart. I'm a fan of Peter Schickele, and would love to render his Concerto for Horn and Hardart with GPO.

SteveMitchell

Can I get some samples of a computer crashing into asphalt from the 5th floor? I'm thinking the mod wheel could control not only the volume, but the timbre of the glass shards, more sparkly for a higher velocity toss out the window...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Hmmmmm, anvil ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I NEED ANVILS.
    gtown sounds had some very usable anvils on their site, a while ago, as Donationware.
    G-Town_Church_Anvils.gig
    G-Town_Church_Anvils2.gig
    Check them out.
    http://www.gtownsounds.com/

_S

Matt,

"Also, what do you guys feel about double tracking the timpani with another timpani a few semitones off? I need loud percussion and the guy playing the timpani is already hitting it as hard as he can."

Do you mean a few semitones or a few cents? Semitones would be interesting and I'd probably like it! You could certainly try layering but you might also find a well-placed parametric EQ boost centered somewhere between 1 and 4khz could add some punch. It could also be automated for crescendos/diminuendos and greater control in general. Also try VAR2 (cc23). It tends to add a more aggressive sound to things at its highest settings.

Tom

We used to do an interesting tuning thang with to timpani. For example, 28" and 26" tuned to the same note only press the pedal of the smaller timp up slightly or the pedal of the larger down slightly. Gave overtones and colors like you wouldn't believe and hard to describe! If you did an octave apart it was even more interesting because of the harmonics and overtones in-between. More of a "new music" thingy we would do in percussion ensemble.
    So, ya got me started experimenting with the timps now, satisfied?

I remember my first timpani roll. Boy, was my instructor upset when he saw that thing screem past him!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I remember my first timpani roll. Boy, was my instructor upset when he saw that thing screem past him!
    And just when I'm thinking that Styxx maybe getting a little serious...

You're a joy

Karl

Yes, I admit to sometimes going through moments of momentary dyspepsia of the brain and feeling a bit serious. Then I snap out of it and start feeling like myself again! Which for the life of me have no idea how that feels
    Styxx

Go Back to forum