• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MUST-READ info on Giga Tech Support

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation MUST-READ info on Giga Tech Support

I had a phone conversation with Chris at Tascam Technical Support last night that was both informative and disturbing. It turns out that Chris is the only person at Tascam assigned to supporting GigaStudio. You read that correctly - Tascam only has 1 person to provide technical support for GigaStudio. It also turns out that the Technical Support Request Form provided at Tascam's Web site is not working properly. At the present time the ONLY reliable way to obtain Giga tech support is to use your e-mail program of choice (i.e. Outlook Express) and send a message to

custser7@tascam.com

This will go directly to Chris. If you have already used Tascam's request form and are waiting for a response, you should assume that your request never reached Chris and send him a new message using the method described above. Do not be fooled by the fact that you received an e-mail confirmation of your request from Tascam. I received an "auto-reply" from Tascam back on October 6 after I filled out their request form. It informed me that my request had been assigned number TS-041006-124500 and stated, "We will respond to you as soon as possible." - and after 35 days I still hadn't received a response. Well, yesterday Chris searched Tascam's computer systems using that number and was unable to find any record of it. Simply put, Tascam's system is broken and there is no way of knowing when (or even if) it will be fixed, so if you need Giga tech support you MUST send an e-mail directly to Chris.
    If you agree with me that Tascam's support for GigaStudio and its users is completely unacceptable, I would urge you to let your opinion be known. Chris is not the one to blame here - he is very much aware of how bad things are, but simply isn't in a position which gives him the authority to implement the changes that desperately need to be made. He is, however, in a position to forward your comments to the people at Tascam who CAN make those changes. If enough Giga users send Chris e-mails stating their dissatisfaction with the quality of support Tascam is providing for GigaStudio, just MAYBE we'll actually see the situation improve. For my part, I will not upgrade to GigaStudio 3 or purchase ANY Tascam product until such time as I see a genuine commitment to customer support from Tascam.

Re: MUST-READ info on Giga Tech Support

Is GS3 a success or not ?

If it is, why don’t we get a professional tech. Support ?

I hoped that Tascam will open an official forum for registered users, with developers for moderators...

It will never happen...

Did Chris told you if he reads that forum ?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal
    Is GS3 a success or not ?
    I hoped that Tascam will open an official forum for registered users, with developers for moderators...
    Sincerely doubt this will ever happen. I own a tascam MX-2424 digital hard dick recorder. There was a great official forum. Terrific and helpful users seemingly always available when a fellow member had problems. It was discontinued along with all the other forums. A tascam tech said it was because of all the negative comments on the other forums. It would have been great to have the forum continued "for registered owners only."

Their decision to kill the forums made me vow not to buy anymore tascam products, and I have had several over the years. So, I purchase GS 160 and who buys out Nemesis? Tascam. However, I must say that GS3 has worked fine for me so far. Then again, I have not yet tested its limits or attempted anything complicated.

I guess GS3's true colors will show themselves the more I get into it.

Hopefully, tascam will show its understanding of the importance of customer support to brand loyalty.

Rich
    Last edited by RichM; 11-11-2004 at 02:21 PM. Reason: addendum

Interesting, and disturbing, if true.

When you say that "Chris is the only person at Tascam assigned to supporting GigaStudio", do you mean he is the only one who provides technical support to direct requests for help, or is he the only one dedicated to further developments in (support of) the software? There is a large difference between the two, but you could arrive at either interpretation from how this was worded...

Only one guy doing it is fine if he is responsive, helpful, and never sleeps...

Regards,

David

They are sadly understaffed, but when you get through to Chris he is very intelligent and professional. He has been very helpful to me in the past. They just need a whole team of people like him.

BTW RichM, check your Freudian slips. I had a good laugh over it...unless Tascam actually makes such a product.

When I stated that Chris is the only person at Tascam assigned to supporting GigaStudio, I meant that he is the only person answering requests for technical support. My conversation with him did not go into how many programmers Tascam has employed to fix bugs, develop new features, etc. in GigaStudio (though given Chris' situation, I fear the number is very small). He is very much aware of this forum and the growing negative attitude of users and sound library developers towards Tascam. I suspect that he would have used this forum to announce that their Tech Support Request Form doesn't work and to provide his direct e-mail address, but he stated that as an employee of Tascam he is not allowed to post information here. My impression is that he is, indeed, a valuable asset for GigaStudio users to have - we just need a lot more like him, and management at Tascam that is genuinely committed to customer support. Given his current workload and how frustrated he must be by Tascam's apparent lack of concern for supporting GigaStudio, it is easy to imagine him deciding, "Enough is enough!", and taking a position with another company - leaving Giga users in even deeper, uh, "mud" than we are now.

Quote Originally Posted by RichM
    I own a tascam MX-2424 digital hard dick recorder.

Terrific and helpful users seemingly always available when a fellow member had problems.
    Rich
    I really hope that this was a typo; otherwise I may have strayed into the wrong forum.

Daryl

A tascam tech said it was because of all the negative comments on the other forums.
    If I remember well, the Tascam forum wasn’t a registered forum. The Samplitude forum is a very good example of a forum with registered users which is not a ring with users and developers on each side... It’s a professional place with constructive remarks, even if Samplitude pro 7 was bugy at the beginning...
    In front of that, the Nuendo forum looks like a forum for a toy...
    And Nuendo is not a toy.
    Neither is Gigastudio...
    Let’s face it : Gigastudio is still the soft that all composers and developers need for orchestral purpose and professional scoring... The tool we need to access the biggest acoustic sample library of all.

Chris, and all of us, should lobby Tascam to create a registered forum with Chris for moderator. It could be his interest : instead of replying the same thing to 50 individual users, a simple reply in a topic could give the answer for all... in other worlds, a lot of saved time for him...

Well..I don't even own it yet and would like to say "thank you" to all of you for teaching me a bunch already. Tascam should be paying y'all.

While I would like to see additional Tascam GigaStudio support, I suggest we work with Chris as much as possible. I like having choices in music software, so I would like to see Giga, Kontakt, etc. ALL survive and continue to produce software.

As I understand it, Nemesys has always been a small company, meaning the software was developed by a small number of people. That is still true today -- the Nemesys developers are still in Austin, TX, and Tascam is in CA.

The original, very small, Nemesys group still does software development, while the "Tascam side" provides Sales, Marketing, Distribution, and Product Support.

My general impression of Tascam is they are still a "hardware company", and therefore they don't really understand what is required of a software company.

Having said that, and having talked to Chris myself, I plan to try to help Tascam identify and fix GS3 software "bugs". Here are some guidelines I would suggest:

1) Clearly document "reproducible" errors, and submit them to Chris directly
    Since I am knowledgeable of software development processes, a software "bug" first must be able to be reproduced by the development team before it can be fixed. If you can't reproduce the error, wait to submit it until you can
    2) Only confirm that Tascam has received the submission, and don't expect that a) the problem will be immediately fixed, and b) you will be kept informed about its status.

It would be great if Tascam had a better process for managing customer's software issues, but I am not going to "hold my breath" for anything other than their current process.
    3) DO submit potential software bugs directly to Tascam.
    It would be great if Tascam viewed this forum (which they do to some degree), but I am not counting on it. In addition, most of the problems I have seen documented here are not in enough detail to reproduce.

Go Back to forum