• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Composer Channel - we need your help

Share/Bookmark

Arrow The Composer Channel: If you've sent in music...

We're making great progress on the web and database infrastructure for The Composer Channel, and recording sessions with Deirdre and Charlie are now scheduled. I need some help from those of you who have sent in your material, which I'll describe below.

There will be a list of all composers for people to view. Clicking on a composer in this list will bring up their information, including what songs they've contributed and additional information about them. Clicking on each song will bring up the notes that you will have entered so that listeners can get a peek "behind the curtain" and gain some insight into your work. The information in this database will also be used in the "now playing" page so that listeners will know a little about what they're listening to.

To keep it simple so that you only have to log in once in the ShowProgramming site to update your information or get to any other special stuff for members, here's how it works. First, you need to create a profile. This will give you access to posting in the forums, discounts in the online store, yada, yada, but more importantly is this: logging in also makes some things happen under the hood via SFM that lets the system automatically know that you're the person viewing the composer pages. When you view your own page, links will automatically appear that will let you update your composer and song information.

Here's what I need for you to do:
    1. Create a profile at http://www.showprogramming.com/bsf/myaccount/new.asp . I would like for you to create a user name with this format: FirstnameLastname (spaces aren't allowed), e.g. mine is ChristopherDuncan. I know many of you use nicknames, but people will be listening to your work, and they're going to want to know about you and talk to you. This makes it easy for them to find their favorite composers in the forums! Remember, I'm doing everything I can to promote you, and this is just one of those steps. Besides, we're displaying your real name in the composer list anyway, so your cover's already blown.
    2. Make sure you've logged in, and then go to http://www.showprogramming.com/ComposerList.asp and click on your name. Enter some info about your self, and your songs. If you want to add stuff in the Bio section of your Profile, that's cool, but it's a different thing. What you enter on your composer page is a separate bit of info that's relevant to you, the composer. It's what Charlie and Deirdre will use in their shows.
    3. If you don't see your name on the composer list and you've sent your stuff in, be patient. I have to enter this into the database manually after I get the songs, etc. I'll post when I've added new composers so you'll know you're up.
    If something breaks:

Not that this could happen, what with the gazillion different changes I've made to the site, but if you push a button or link and Bad Things happen, please send me a pm or email so that I'll know about it and can fix it!

I need you guys to get this information in before the recording dates, as for the initial launch of the station we can only use the stuff that we already have in the database - otherwise Charlie and Deirdre don't have anything to go on when they're announcing your music. So, I know you have to take a couple of minutes out of an otherwise busy schedule, but if you could do this soon it would be most appreciated.

More stories as they happen!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: The Composer Channel - we need your help

I've created an account on the site, but when I login it doesn't recognize me to let me change my composer profile.

Thanks for all your hard work! I appreciate it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I've created an account on the site, but when I login it doesn't recognize me to let me change my composer profile.

Thanks for all your hard work! I appreciate it!
    Hey, Sean.

I just tested your login and it works okay. Here's what you have to do, some of the steps may not be obvious:

1. Create an account (done)
    2. Activate account by replying to email (done)
    3. Explicitly log in - click login at the top right corner of the web site under Account Settings
    4. Go to http://www.ShowProgramming.com/ComposerList.asp
    5. Click on your name. You should now see update links.
    If this doesn't work for you, let me know and we'll get it figured out!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Nope. That's not working for me, either.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    Nope. That's not working for me, either.
    Did you take a look at the steps I posted for Sean? If that's not working, then can you please tell me what steps you're taking and what response the site gives you, so that I can help solve the problem?

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Talking Re: The Composer Channel - we need your help

I'm not on the composerlist so I'll need to wait aparently.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Those are the exact steps I took, but when I get to the page after clicking on my name, there is no means of updating anything that I'm aware of.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Found the update bug!

Sorry about that, folks! Okay, provided you create your user name as mentioned, FirstnameLastname (no spaces), it should be working for you now.

And yeah, Falcon and several others aren't on the list yet, but I should have you guys up in the next day or so. There's just a ton of work to do before I can launch the station. Heaven forbid I should be bored!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Up, there it goes...
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I did mine in tablature, is that ok?
    Actually, have to do mine from home. School server has too many blocks for certain sites.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum