• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone here using a Master Clock?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone here using a Master Clock?

Anyone here using Master Clock and slaving their DAW to it? If so, are you noticing an increase in quality? Also what samplerate are you running?

Oh, and can you get away with a higher samplerate on your DAW if the clock is the one setting it? (In other words does the DAW CPU usage still shoot up?)

Thanks.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Re: Anyone here using a Master Clock?

Hey Scott....

The answer to your second question is : ---> No, (yes). Well, you can run a higher sample rate if the DAW supports it, then you set the clock to be the master... but the CPU is the same, you're simply making the sample cycles cycle at the "same" rate, vs everything at it's own rate... but maybe that was obvious to you.

To question one- Yeh, I use one, but it's been a long while since I've not used one. I use a Lucid Genx6-96, and before that the Aardsync II (sp?).

The thing is, it's not a night and day difference unless your clock 'now' just sucks azz. Many people put it in line and don't hear 'any' difference, some 'claim' to hear the diff, and some 'do' hear the diff. The more digital gear you're running, the more you might need a master clock.

I'd just try it and if you don't hear any difference, take it back. It's sorta like DAC, in that, not everyone hears it. I can't remember if I heard it or not. But it's one of those things, I like knowing I'm clocked right and that I hav a good DAC to the monitors. It's about as good as the signal is gonna get.

Hope that helps... I'm not a clocking guru, I just use one.

KID-

Thanks Kid. I was looking at getting the Apogee Mini-Me for front end AD converters to my vocals and guitars. The guy in the shop I go to (who I really do trust) pointed out that I can also use the clock on the Apogee as it is way better than the clock in my soundcard (Delta 44).

He claimed I would hear the difference in my mixes; tighter bottom end and more accurate placement in terms of panning.

I just got curious about who else uses clocks...

Thanks for answering mate.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Hi Scott,

I'm also thinking about buying the Mini-Me for 2-channel ADC and this clock source function would perhaps be a welcome bonus. I'm wondering though if slaving your audio card to e.g. digital black from the Mini-Me through say, an S/PDIF input of your audio card is really more stable than using the inernal clock of your audio card? I've heard that the clocks in audio cards are generally very stable. Does anyone know this? Also, since most of your audio playing and editing is done on your DAW, would syncing to an external clock during all this really be advisable?

Cheers

You might pop over to www.gearslutz.com forums, do a search- they seem to love the Apogee word clocks. Lots of testomonials, etc.

Mark
    www.marktrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarin Man
    Hi Scott,

I'm also thinking about buying the Mini-Me for 2-channel ADC and this clock source function would perhaps be a welcome bonus. I'm wondering though if slaving your audio card to e.g. digital black from the Mini-Me through say, an S/PDIF input of your audio card is really more stable than using the inernal clock of your audio card? I've heard that the clocks in audio cards are generally very stable. Does anyone know this? Also, since most of your audio playing and editing is done on your DAW, would syncing to an external clock during all this really be advisable?

Cheers
    Hi, I've been doing a lot of reading up on it and I dont think the clock in the average sound card is even close to the standard of a clock in something like Apogee gear. I think Apogee use grade one clocks or something and that a sound card has a lower rated clock.

If the clock causes jitter (and a low quality one definetely will) you get distortion and a smeared sound image. Apparently a high quality clock improves the sound quality (no jitter), the bottom end sounds tighter and the panning is much more definite.

Also, the A/D and D/A converters in the average sound card wont even come close to a dedicated set of converters.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Yeah, it's hard to beat Apogee ADC! And I'm sure they use grade one clocks as well. Just wondering if the lower quality clock of my audio card (Terratec EWS88MT) could really be causing minor jitter and distortion during playback/editing that I'm not aware of..

Grtz. Roy

Go Back to forum