• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: "rightwing manics seek ban on evolution"

Share/Bookmark

"rightwing maniacs seek ban on evolution"

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    an ongoing battle here in georgia ( ranked mind you #49 in highschool S.A.T exams)
    from the AP wires:

BC-GA--EvolutionDebate-S 11-08 0151
    BC-GA--Evolution Debate-Summary Box,150
    Evolution stickers under fire in court case
    By The Associated Press
    IN THE BEGINNING...: Cobb County adopted new biology texts in
    2002, and when some parents complained about the evolution
    material, the school board voted to put stickers on the inside
    covers telling students that evolution is "a theory, not a fact."
    That prompted a lawsuit from several parents who called the
    stickers an endorsement of religion.
    A JUDGE WILL DECIDE: Whether the sticker amounts to a government
    endorsement of religion. There is no jury in this case; a federal
    district judge will decide.
    WHERE WE ARE NOW: The trial enters its second day of testimony
    Tuesday. The plaintiffs, the parents who want to remove the
    stickers, say it will take at least two more days to present their
    side, then Cobb County gets a crack. The trial should last most of
    the week.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press

Re: "rightwing manics seek ban on evolution"

I wonder if they've read the current edition of National Geographic. The cover asks, "Was Darwin wrong?" The first sentence of the article states emphatically NO and indicates the scientific evidence for evolution is deep, wide and compelling (or words to that effect). Further in the article it states that consistently about 45% of the US population believes in Creationism despite the scientific evidence. Evolution is a theory just like Relativity is a theory. That didn't stop us from making atom bombs based on that theory.

Cheers,

Steve

A new tune I'm working on... "dum da dum dum dumm dum dum da dum dum dum da dum dum dum dada dum dum dumb."

Bah. As far as I'm concerned, you can throw Creationism into that group of theories as well. Until someone can prove that the world was created in seven days, it's just a theory.

PS: Didn't they very recently discover more evidence in the favor of evolution? I remember on NPR they were talking about some hobbit-like creature. Anyone catch details on that ?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    PS: Didn't they very recently discover more evidence in the favor of evolution? I remember on NPR they were talking about some hobbit-like creature. Anyone catch details on that ?
    Sure you're not confusing that with the Lord of the Rings trilogy Sam?
    (sorry, i'm feeling kinda pesky this afternoon).

/j
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

No, seriously. It was wearing a gold ring too..

I think it was similar to a primate..but it had opposable thumbs or some other features to indicate it was in between us and apes.

Oh here we go..just one article I found in like 10 secs, not sure how accurate it is:
    http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....5096136410.xml
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

We'll if you take a good look at various monkeys, apes chimps, etc. especially the infants, its pretty obvious that we come from the same manufacturer.
    If you read Nexus magazine, you come away realizing that there are holes in the evolution theory too. Genesis is the symbolic myth to explain where we come from. You don't have to take it litterally to realize that it is full of "truths" about human nature and the universe.
    I often wonder if what we have is evolution to get to some point and then a little tweaking from a higher intellegence (from God to ETs) to get to where where we are now. Lots of interesting and unexplained stuff out there that is not explained by science or creation.
    Dave

Dave,

There are a lot of christian followers that would call your statements blasphemous.

I think that although when it comes to the why's of the cosmos religion and philosophy are needed, I can not bring myself to believe the whole Adam and Eve thing. While interesting as far as a morality metaphor, it simply does not stand up against concrete proof of an evolutionary path from rudimentary mammals to just plain insane ones!

Many religious followers (and not necessarily nuts) are simply not happy with any portion of evolution.

BTW, did anyone catch the Daily Show's Back in Black commentary about stem cell research:

Go to http://www.comedycentral.com and click on the "What's New' column on the left on the title Back in Black Ballot Initiatives
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by David Govett
    I often wonder if what we have is evolution to get to some point and then a little tweaking from a higher intellegence (from God to ETs) to get to where where we are now. Lots of interesting and unexplained stuff out there that is not explained by science or creation.
    Dave
    yes-e.g. where did all our body hair go? (wink, wink)

Scully: "Mulder?"

Mulder: "Scully!"

All kidding aside, great point Dave. I don't think either side can exclusively rule out the other.
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Bah. As far as I'm concerned, you can throw Creationism into that group of theories as well. Until someone can prove that the world was created in seven days, it's just a theory.

Knock Knock. Evolution is a fact. This country is retarded.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast