• Register
  • Help

Topic: Not enough control channels in my keyboard for vibrato control?

Share/Bookmark

Not enough control channels in my keyboard for vibrato control?

Hi!

I tried to assign vibrato control (for woodwinds) on my Kawai MP-9500, it should be 131? My Kawai doesn't have more channels than 114. I tried the channel number 17 but it didn't affect any NV-patches (i tried clarinet and flute). Is 17 supposed to work the same way? If not, any way to use the vibrato with my keyboard?

Re: Not enough control channels in my keyboard for vibrato control?

Karvasika,

cc131 is just an alternate controller for Aftertouch. Does your keyboard support Aftertouch? If so, vibrato intensity will be affected by pressing harder on a given key. If not, you can still enter the data in your sequencer as either Aftertouch or cc131 data. Speed of the vibrato is affected with cc17 - higher values of cc17 give faster vibrato. This too can be drawn into your sequencer tracks. Most older keyboards that don't allow the assignment of numbers as high as cc131 have Aftertouch. The function remains the same.

Tom

This Kawai is only few years old model, but it doesn't have aftertouch because of the wooden keys.. that's what i heard.. dunno why. Anyway, so there is no way to play these vibrato changes, but I have to write them by hand? Of course it's not as essential as playing dynamics with mod wheel, but vibrato is also pretty important. But if no, I'll then draw aftertouch with hand.

karvasika,

Kind of looks like you're stuck drawing it in by hand until you get a keyboard with the necessary features.

Tom

karvasika, just to make sure, you could try this. I have an old Yamaha KX88 with weighted wood keys and it has aftertouch so yours might. You can verify if your keyboard has aftertouch by using one of the string KS patches. Load VIOLIN 1 GAGLI KS SOLO. First, hit "B" (yellow keyswitch note) one time, then play one note on your keyboard,.... when you release the note, GPO will sound another note that is one whole note above the note you played. if it doesn't, then I'm afraid Tom is right, and he does know what he's talking about

The Kawai MP9500 does not have aftertouch.
    I have one and would not trade it for anything.
    I believe that vibrato is best modified in editing.

Jeannot Welter.

Dan,

"You can verify if your keyboard has aftertouch by using one of the string KS patches. Load VIOLIN 1 GAGLI KS SOLO. First, hit "B" (yellow keyswitch note) one time, then play one note on your keyboard,.... when you release the note, GPO will sound another note that is one whole note above the note you played. if it doesn't, then I'm afraid Tom is right, and he does know what he's talking about."

Actually, the KS solo strings rely on release trigger programming, not aftertouch, for the upper keyswitches. Even if a keyboard doesn't have aftertouch those trems and trills will work as designed. All keyboards send "note off" commands and that is what the release trigger programming uses.

I've used aftertouch in the programming very sparingly for precisely the reason that some keyboards don't have it. Vibrato intensity is one of those functions that is just so appropriate to that particular controller that I put it there anyway.

One other thing: None of this should give anyone the impression that I know what I'm talking about. An unwarranted conclusion.

Tom

Hi Tom, LOL! Well it does prove that I didn't know what I was talking about,
    Silly me, I know the difference between aftertouch and release, sorry
    confused DPDan

Go Back to forum