• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Song in need of a name!

Share/Bookmark

Song in need of a name!

Hi Guys and Gals!

I have been in hiding for the past few months (8 to be exact), though I do tend to raise my little head up to listen to all of the wonderful demos and read all the threads just to keep abreast of all that is going on.

I have been taking private lessons in composition from a wonderful composer/pianist/teacher here in Atlanta. In short, I have studied a few of Bach's Inventions followed by having to write one in the style of...
    Studied a Clementi Sonatina and had to write one of those as well.

Finally, I went through "Regrets" by Felix Mendelssohn looking at structure, key and chord progression, among other things. Then my teacher told me to write something in the same vain.

I began the following composition the first week in October and finished it just in time for Halloween. I named the song 3 or 4 times but nothing is working - I'm just too close to give it a decent name. If you all have any ideas I would gladly welcome them.

This piano solo is more developed than any piece I have ever written. I wrote it for someone with far more piano skill than I posess! So please be gentle on the performance. I am to play this for a piano recital the first week in December (my first public performance since 1985 - scary - before some of you were born I'm sure!)

Enough babbling - here is the link:
    http://www.williamwest.org/accets/themusic/piano.mp3
    Thank you for listening!

William

PS Here is the PDF for those that might like to follow along with the music.

http://www.williamwest.org/accets/th...illiamWest.pdf

Disregard the title. Also missing are the dynamics which I am hoping to figure out in the near future.
    www.williamwest.org

We are the makers of music and the dreamers of dreams.

Re: Song in need of a name!

Beautiful WW!

Absolutely stunning! It made me think of first light.

So…

“First Light”
    "In the Revealing Light of Dawn"
    "The Revealing Light of Dawn" < (My Choice)
    Or “Dawn Revealing” or something like that.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

As a listener and lover of piano pieces, but as one too incompetent to write music... I must say that this was lovely. I've been a fan since I heard your first piece, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a beautiful piano piece. Excellent work.

I would call it, "Confidence Discovered."

Good luck, my friend. Keep up the amazing work. Too bad I don't live closer to Hotlanta, I'd get this guys name and number.

That was nice!

William,

Holy Cow! And I thought that the Last Embrace was amazing. I think you've blown that one away! (Not that it's a competition or anything!)

Did you write this in a Notation program or is this a sequence?

Te way that you have written this, it seems to flow gently from one theme to antoher. The image of morphing cloud shaped comes to my mind. So maybe something like:

-Clouds (I would say Nuages (SP?) but Listz would rise from the grave and beat the crap out of me!)
    -Images in the SKy

OK, maybe they don't do it justice. Good luck with this one!

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

I woke up this morning around 5 am and a light snowfall was coming down. Nothing that would accumulate, but rather peacefully, serene, and flowing. Much like your work here.

"A Light Snowfall"
    Styxx

Smile Re: Song in need of a name!

William, what about just calling it Nocturna in d-minor?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Thank you all so much for the comments and name suggestions!

The PDF file was created in Finale 05, though the recording was made in 3 sections (recorded live) in Sonar 3. I erased a few eronious notes and added a missed note or two but no other manipulation was performed on the midi performance. The piano is the GPO Steinway (VST).
    www.williamwest.org

Thumbs up Re: Song in need of a name!

Quote Originally Posted by William West
    Thank you all so much for the comments and name suggestions!

The PDF file was created in Finale 05, though the recording was made in 3 sections (recorded live) in Sonar 3. I erased a few eronious notes and added a missed note or two but no other manipulation was performed on the midi performance. The piano is the GPO Steinway (VST).
    Well, are you going to keep us all in suspenders? What did you name this beautiful piece?
    Styxx

Unhappy Re: Song in need of a name!

suspenders?
    Well Mr. Styxx, I haven't gotten around to naming it just yet - I'm a little slow. I am pondering all of the wonderful suggestions which have only left me more confused as they are all wonderful!
    www.williamwest.org

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast