• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is my computer really that pathetic? Looking for some Giga 3 advice

Share/Bookmark

Question Is my computer really that pathetic? Looking for some Giga 3 advice

I am wondering if my system is now out of date. I still think it meets Tascam's guidelines so I am confused why the performance is not what it should be. I have a 1.6 GigaHz Pentium 4 processor, 1 Gig of RAM and 2 7200rpm 40 Gig hard drives. When I start Gigastudio (at rest) the CPU meter is 12%. When I load a standard intrument (such as Post harpsichord) that number doubles to around 25% (before I play anything). If I am using the PMI Old Lady default patch it loads and stands at about the same (at rest). If I load Gigapulse it is around 50% at rest. If I try to play the instrument in Gigapulse using the pedal it becomes unplayable within a few notes (the CPU meter goes to 100 and I get dropouts and feedback). Is there something I can do to tweek my system or is it simply too week to handle Gigastudio and I need a new one? Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: Is my computer really that pathetic? Looking for some Giga 3 advice

Gigapulse is for sure a power consumer!

Those numbers seem high.

I get 4% at rest on a 3GHz and 6% on a 2.4 GHz.

Have you installed the 3.02 patch?

Talking Re: Is my computer really that pathetic? Looking for some Giga 3 advice

Bill, my P3 1 giger won't even play a note of the Gigapiano II with any impulse's. If I just touch the sustain pedal, Boom lock up! All loaded up my system sits at 78% sorta cause the CPU meter is all over the map. I suspect your results are fairly close... Yep sounds like a P4 3.2 with 2 gig of ram yada won't fully utilize all of giga's power!! Sounds like we need a P5, 8-CPU with 18 gigs of ram with 4 raid 0 15K SATA drives with 15 terabyte's of space!
    Can't wait!

Kinda sucks, doesn't it?
    What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Checked with Tascam today and they said the problem is my processor. 1.6 just won't cut it. So it looks like I need a new motherboard, power supply, processor and Memory (old memory is SDRAM and I guess new processors don't use that kind of memory anymore). And yes, this part of Gigastudio $ucks...but once I'm up and running again I'm sure I'll be back singing its praises. Thanks for the comments.

If you just use the sample player functions, your PC is fine. You should be able to use the NFX effects as well. GigaPulse, compression and parametric EQ? Those are a whole new ballgame.

So, if you could make music with GS2.5, you can make music with GS3 on your PC. Just don't expect to use the new features.

Actually, you can probably load a single GigaPulse instance as a reverb as long as you don't go hog wild with samples. The piano models are much harder, since they have to react in real time to the pedal, and it uses multiple GigaPulse instances.

Here are the numbers on my Athlon 2500+, not touching any keys...

* Idle => 5%
    * 1 GPulse instance => 16%
    * GPiano II => 23%
    * GPiano II, Pedal down => 37%
    * GPiano II + 1 GPulse instance => 35%
    * GPiano II, Pedal down + 1 GPulse instance => 49%

I hope to upgrade this Xmas.

-JF

Yeow! That gigapulse really is a power hog! My Athlon 2.6 is apparently barely capable of running it (haven't upgraded yet.) Guess I'll have to wait until the Athon 64 4000 come down in price.

But regarding the original poster, a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 processor is actually fairly slow by todays standards. The Pentium 4 was designed to ramp to high clockspeeds, and really starts to spread its wings and fly at over 3 ghz. A 1.6 ghz has a slower bus, slower memory, less cache etc. then the newer P4s. And because of its design oriented for high clockspeeds, a 1.6 ghz P 4 probably isn't much faster then a 1 ghz pentium III. The advantage of the Pentium 4 design over the Pentium III design is, of course, the P III won't ramp to the high clockspeeds the Pentium 4 does. But Intel has finally hit a wall in that regard, and had cancled plans for a 4 ghz P4. The Pentium 4 architecture does run Gigastudio very well, though.

Yeah, I have a 2.8 P4 with a gig of ram and I can't play GigaPianoII using giga as a rewire device in Sonar 4 with out a whole lot of crackling. GS3 is fine when I use it in stand alone mode. I may have to get another computer when I have the cash (probably this summer...)
    Tim

Go Back to forum