• Register
  • Help

Topic: More allegedly original stuff

Share/Bookmark

Talking More original stuff

The piece that I previously previewed (now called “Catching the Brass Ring”) originally started with a slow section that I came to feel made no sense in terms of what the “waltz part” turned into. I also realized that I wanted to let that beginning go completely elsewhere. So, disk space being cheap, I saved off that version and then tossed away the slow beginning and finished “Catching”.

Yesterday, I came back to the original “slow beginning” and decided I wanted to explore the sonorities of the solo cello and violin a bit. Into this “brew” I tossed some simple organ flutes and a few comments by the harp. The first almost 5 minutes is ready for preview and comments and I let it out of the bag today in our ad hoc Sunday online chat session. The HiFi MP3 is here, the LoFi MP3 is here and the LoFi WMA is here . The part which closes the piece now is a rather extended organ flutes solo which will be intertwined with additional instruments and lines soon (or perhaps truncated in favor of a different approach).

Please don’t be shy about comments or suggestions. I feel that this is yet another original “exercise” and that observations and critiques are totally welcome and that nothing is invalid (except personal sniping, of course). Thanks, in advance!

KevinKauai

P.S. Just spent some more time with this piece and the links (above) reflect the modified version. Here are the original links if you wish to compare the two: The HiFi MP3 is here, the LoFi MP3 is here and the LoFi WMA is here . The part which closes the piece originally was a rather extended organ flutes solo which was changed in the SECOND version (above).
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 11-01-2004 at 08:10 AM. Reason: updates

Re: More allegedly original stuff

This is just unbeliveable. Seriously. It's so hard to make a piece at an adagio tempo like this moving as opposed to just boring and you really did it! The organ is fantastic. And the changes of bow direction in the violin- that's a subtle and very well done effect.
    I'm going to listen again...

Hey, Kevin.

Nice stuff, as always. I do have a question about the instrumentation towards the very end, ~4:43.

In the group that sounds sounds like a trumpet section, are you adding additional instruments or eq to get that particular tone, or is it pure GPO brass? The overall effect sounds somewhat edgy and artificial, like early 80s synthesizer pseudo-brass and / or something like brass coupled with organ or accordian. The tone is a bit harsh in contrast to the gentle and natural sounds throughout the rest of the piece. I realize this may well be something you did for effect, but I'm just curious to know if that's just how the GPO trumpet section sounds or if you were doing something creative with the tones.

Of course, I'm not listening to it in the studio at the moment, so it may just be my cheesy computer speakers.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Hey, Kevin.

Nice stuff, as always. I do have a question about the instrumentation towards the very end, ~4:43.

In the group that sounds sounds like a trumpet section, are you adding additional instruments or eq to get that particular tone, or is it pure GPO brass? The overall effect sounds somewhat edgy and artificial, like early 80s synthesizer pseudo-brass and / or something like brass coupled with organ or accordian. The tone is a bit harsh in contrast to the gentle and natural sounds throughout the rest of the piece. I realize this may well be something you did for effect, but I'm just curious to know if that's just how the GPO trumpet section sounds or if you were doing something creative with the tones.

Of course, I'm not listening to it in the studio at the moment, so it may just be my cheesy computer speakers.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Adding the oboe made all the malanky hairs on my plot stand on end (as Alex would say in Clockwork Orange). And then it got a bit... well... what he said

It's just a gorgeous peice. However you resolve it it's a favorite of mine!!

Smile Re: More allegedly original stuff

Hold off on listening to this until tomorrow (Election day!) and there will be some resolution to the ending! I'm unhappy with the brass at the end (and they're outta here!) and the English horn (not "oboe") got a friend to come along. I'll put all three versions up on my "Previews" page when this next one is ready and update this thread.

Thanks ... KevinKauai

UPDATE:. Now there is a final (?) version on the main Preview page, along with the two prior "previews", for those who want to compare and see the evolution of this free-flowing piece. The instruments for the "final" version are listed there, but no score is yet available (request, if you really want to see it).

Thanks to all who comments (here and in the Chat) along the way!
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 11-02-2004 at 03:04 AM. Reason: updates

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    the English horn (not "oboe")
    Same difference.

Ow ow- quit throwing stuff at me- OW!!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    ...and the English horn (not "oboe") got a friend to come along.
    You know, I've always wondered how it was possible to have an English horn and a French horn sitting in the same orchestra without them hissing and thowing little bits of paper at each other...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I was in an orchestra with a Swiss alpine horn but it never played- just seemed to stay out of everything.

Go Back to forum