• Register
  • Help

Topic: 5.1 DD Mixing - Please Help me.

Share/Bookmark

5.1 DD Mixing - Please Help me.

I own Cubase SL 2 which is great for me but i consider buying an upgrade to SX 2 or SX 3 to go for The DD 5.1 mixing. I have a 5.1 set in my studio for watching DVDs and listening to some Operas and i would like to know how to mix in 5.1.

Can someone who has Cubase SX describe to me how it's handled to mix 5.1 in cubase ? i know that cubase can'r produce AC3 or other file typle like that and I can export 6 mono waves for respective 5.1 channels....

But can anyone describe how this is done... i mean how do You play VST instruments in the surround....
    I have Halion 2 so it can play in 5.1 but what about other instruments...
    Are there any 5.1 mixing tutorials for recording orchestras or something like that ? or some tutorials on basic 5.1 mixing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: 5.1 DD Mixing - Please Help me.

easy ... make a good stereo mix and buy a TC 6000 ...

Hehehe buy a TC 6000.... I need one of those. But when one machine is a fifth of my college per year, I don't think I could afford it

Lightbulb Re: 5.1 DD Mixing - Please Help me.

Check out the Cubase SX PDF documentation on using the surround panner. You can route a stereo signal to surround in any of several ways. For encoding your surround mix, there are several options, including one plug-in kit from Steinberg and another from SRS. Sony also has a good encoder with their Vegas+DVD package, and their multi-channel WaveHmmer compressor works well. It's a complex subject, and there are plenty of resources online for getting up to speed.

As far as HALion is concerned, there are surround-based library where a note will trigger six channels of audio - a surround-based source file. But, any stereo signal can be routed to a surround buss, so you have Steinberg's Embrader VSTi that has two sets of stereo outputs that you can route to front and rear pairs, with low frequencies syphoned off to the LFE.

I've always found TC hardware to be overrated.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Houston ... TC hardware isn't overrated. We have the best audio plugins, many audio softwares (Vegas Video 4, Samplitude, Sonar, Cubase ...) and the best DAW (Sydec Soundscape). I used it to make a 5.1 surround mixing but no one works as well as the TC 6000 : a good stereo mix and voilà ! (I tested it one month ago ... I'm a lucky man ... hehe).

Several presets (even Lucas Art) ... reverb or not ... realtime .........

Hi Houston,

Related (I think):

What is the best method to create both a 5.1 and a 2.0 mix for the same project? Can you set up two mixers in SX for this? Or is it possible handle this with a clever bus-setup?

I own SX2 (3 is on its way), but I have not yet experimented with 5.1.
    I want to use it for a project that I am starting with.

Syquest:
    Do you only want to add surround ambience to stereo mixes? Don't you want any front-rear panning in the different tracks? Or even more assymetric positioning of stereo signals in the surround matrix?

Regards,

Talking Re: 5.1 DD Mixing - Please Help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Check out the Cubase SX PDF documentation on using the surround panner. You can route a stereo signal to surround in any of several ways. For encoding your surround mix, there are several options, including one plug-in kit from Steinberg and another from SRS. Sony also has a good encoder with their Vegas+DVD package, and their multi-channel WaveHmmer compressor works well. It's a complex subject, and there are plenty of resources online for getting up to speed.

As far as HALion is concerned, there are surround-based library where a note will trigger six channels of audio - a surround-based source file. But, any stereo signal can be routed to a surround buss, so you have Steinberg's Embrader VSTi that has two sets of stereo outputs that you can route to front and rear pairs, with low frequencies syphoned off to the LFE.

I've always found TC hardware to be overrated.
    Thanks Houston for reply....
    So what You're seying to me is that i can place each VST in the surround space in Cubase SX?
    Then export to 6 mono files
    Then encode with some dd 5.1 encoder to an AC3 Stream and i'm done ?
    That would be cool to place EWQL Gold in the surround environment for example...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    Syquest:
    Do you only want to add surround ambience to stereo mixes? Don't you want any front-rear panning in the different tracks? Or even more assymetric positioning of stereo signals in the surround matrix?

Regards,
    With a TC 6000 you can mix your music tracks, your FX tracks and your voice tracks in 5.1 with different reverbs. To send to a specific channel, you need a software or a workstation, of course (i.e. Cubase or Soundscape).
    You send into the unit and the unit back into your software to send the sound in your monitors but you can send it directly into front or rear. The TC 6000 (like the Lexicon 960L) is a good tool to work WITH your softwares ....

Peter, unless you're just doing the basics (reverb to the rear, everthing else to the front), a good surround mix doesn't translate directly to stereo. You need to do them separately.

And while I've never done anything in surround (other than set it up a few speakers to try EWQLSO that way), I can tell you that buying stuff won't do a damn thing. It's all in the concept.

But having just returned from hearing some surround mixes a friend of mine - phenomenal mixer - is doing in Northern California, I'm hot to trot. He's really raised the whole art to a new level; these were the first surround mixes I've heard and liked.

Something I'd like to try is a surround mix of an orchestral performance from the point of view of a player. From my time in concert band in high school, it it is *nothing* like what the audience experiences. Timpani behind you, low brass to your left, trumpets left front, etc. The sound comes at you from all sides - you feel it in your chest.

Go Back to forum