• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL - Loading Instruments

Share/Bookmark

VSL - Loading Instruments

Hello gang,

I am running Opus and GS3.

In the instrument load menu it displays the .gig files, e.g. VIOLINS ENS_Standard. When I try to load an entire instrument patch - the .gig file - the intrument says "BASIC" in the MIDI display mixer, however I cannot play any notes. However, when I expand the .gig file in the load window so that the individual files of the .gig are displayed - represented by the "I" - these individual files can be loaded and played. But aren't I supposed to load the entire .gig file which consists of all the separate 'I' files??

I really don't understand what I'm doing here. Any help with respect to how this is supposed to work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MCK

Re: VSL - Loading Instruments

Quote Originally Posted by mckelly
    Hello gang,

I am running Opus and GS3.

In the instrument load menu it displays the .gig files, e.g. VIOLINS ENS_Standard. When I try to load an entire instrument patch - the .gig file - the intrument says "BASIC" in the MIDI display mixer, however I cannot play any notes. However, when I expand the .gig file in the load window so that the individual files of the .gig are displayed - represented by the "I" - these individual files can be loaded and played. But aren't I supposed to load the entire .gig file which consists of all the separate 'I' files??

I really don't understand what I'm doing here. Any help with respect to how this is supposed to work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MCK
    If you load from the Quicksound database (bottom of the screen), you can load the individual instruments.

Daryl

The reason you aren't able to play notes is because when you load the entire instrument set-up, the BASIC instrument which you are referring to is actually a heading/placeholder, and doesn't contain any samles. It just means that all instruments between it and the next heading are in their simplest form, without any keyswitches, modwheel fades, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Temple
    The reason you aren't able to play notes is because when you load the entire instrument set-up, the BASIC instrument which you are referring to is actually a heading/placeholder, and doesn't contain any samles. It just means that all instruments between it and the next heading are in their simplest form, without any keyswitches, modwheel fades, etc.
    Thanks Alex --

So should I load the samples when the .gig sample is expanded - the individual samples marked by 'I' Would you recommend loading all the 'I' samples as a stacked instrument?

Why do the .gig files expand into the individual I files anyway?

How would i load the samples with the keyswitches, modwheel fades and such?

Thanks again.

MCK

If you do load all the instruments as you originally tried, you can play them by sending the appropriate MIDI program change commands to the channel in GS3. Most MIDI keyboard controllers (not GM though) will allow you to do this and most sequencers will do this, as well. However, be aware of a bug in the current version of GS3, where it doesn't always honour the MIDI program change commands.

Quote Originally Posted by techntim
    If you do load all the instruments as you originally tried, you can play them by sending the appropriate MIDI program change commands to the channel in GS3. Most MIDI keyboard controllers (not GM though) will allow you to do this and most sequencers will do this, as well. However, be aware of a bug in the current version of GS3, where it doesn't always honour the MIDI program change commands.
    Thanks, I appreicate your input.

So I'm guessing that my little Roland XP-10 will not be able to send the program changes? Looks like I'll just have to load the individual 'I' files in separate midi channels then.

Go Back to forum