• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphony No 1 in C major - Mov 1

Share/Bookmark

Symphony No 1 in C major - Mov 1

Update: I have taken down these rough drafts for now. I will post the final version when the competition is over . . .

Heh heh heh. I finished the first movement of my first symphony! I've been working on it for a while now. I plan to enter this piece into the orchestration competition, so I'll probably go back and make some changes, but most of the work is done.

I was originally planning to submit all three movements to the competition, but decided to focus all my energy on just one movement and submit that. I shall appropiately name the symphony "The Competition"! I've already begun the next movements, but they'll probably have to wait for next year's competition, that way each year I can just submit the next movement to "The Competition" symphony. I think I'll call this movement "The Dream" or something sappy like that

The symphony is in the wonderful key of C major, and does not transpose to any other key. It is not really in sonata form, but who cares these days, right? This first movement is about six and a half minutes.

Okay, there are two versions. As suggested by Kevin in the chat room on Friday, one is a larger MP3 and the other a smaller WMA so dial-up users do not have to wait too long. The MP3 is 192 kbps and about 9 mb, and the WMA is 96 kbps and about 4.5 mb. And here are the links:

http://www.wizardwalk.com/music/Symp...in_C_major.mp3

http://www.wizardwalk.com/music/Symp...in_C_major.wma

I hope it is not too loud, I do make use of that French Horn Overlay FF There are some fortississississimo passages And a lotta strings . . . gotta love those GPO strings!

I look forward to any kind of feedback at all! I hope you enjoy!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Symphony No 1 in C major - Mov 1

Congratulations Sean....you deserve a medal for bravery for being the first (I think) to expose your Competion Entry! 61/2 minutes of listening pleasure! I do enjoy hearing new compositions on this forum.....very exciting!

What a piece too!! A beautiful composition, beautifully arranged and produced. Just where is this going to be positioned in the competition? Only time will tell but this sets a damn high standard.....that's for sure. I enjoyed the little percussive touches and the sweet change in mood at 3:26...which is cleverly timed! I also like the drive and the verve and the underlying theme. Never boring, always something new around the corner whilst still retaining the theme.....I always think that this is clever and hard to achieve.

I'm continually amazed by what people on this forum are able to do and very much look forward to hearing the other entries. Once more it makes me believe that all the more expensive libraries are certainly evidence of the theory of diminishing returns!

Gary, How about a separate forum for the competition entries to save searching through all the others?.....just a thought.

Well done Sean,

Frank

Wow, thanks for your kind words!

I don't think there's anything wrong with revealing my competition entry, especially since I realize there are so many talented composers among me that this symphony probably won't be hard for many of them to beat. If I didn't post it, how could I get any feedback?

I'm very glad you enjoyed it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Smile Re: Symphony No 1 in C major - Mov 1

Hi Sean,

finally we got to hear your 1st movement of your first symphony.

Ok, let me start on the good points:

1. Nice main theme which manages to bind the movement together.
    2. Second theme or idea was interesting contrast to the main theme.
    3. Overall the orchestration is ok
    4. Nice climax at about 4:00

Now the the "not so" good points:

1. Harmony is maybe too basic for a movement in a symphony
    2. There are some weak sections in the movement, for example the section starting at about 1:00 to about 1:20 could be stronger with better voice leading.
    3. Maybe you could see if you can bridge the A part more over to the B part starting at 2:00.
    4. The B part is rather thin in orchestration.
    5. The bass could be more interesting in the B part.
    6. Could use more 3-4 part harmony, it's too much in 2 part "harmony".
    7. The timpani trill needs to be faster in the end.

However, there are many nice ideas in the movement which could be maybe worked out better. So it's not all bad and you're still young.

I also must say, IMHO it's not for other than composers which have mastered their skills to compose a good or excellent symphony. But your try was quite good considering age etc.

Can't wait to hear more music.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Thanks for the feedback, especially the critiques, as they are the best way to learn!

I've still got this month to work on it, and I will certainly continue editing until time is up. After all, better is the enemy of good enough. Thanks for your advice, and since I've heard your beautiful music (especially that awesome "Hark" rendition), I am quite honored to have it. Thanks again!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Smile Re: Symphony No 1 in C major - Mov 1

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Thanks for the feedback, especially the critiques, as they are the best way to learn!

I've still got this month to work on it, and I will certainly continue editing until time is up. After all, better is the enemy of good enough. Thanks for your advice, and since I've heard your beautiful music (especially that awesome "Hark" rendition), I am quite honored to have it. Thanks again!
    Hi Sean, you're welcomed.

Looking forward to hear the revision. Thanks for sharing!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin

Be careful Sean....perhaps you've got Falcon worried and he's giving you a few bum steers!!!

I'm not a theoretician like Falcon.....but my ears are OK. Having said that I would like to hear an a/b with a version with Falcon's suggestions......

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Be careful Sean....perhaps you've got Falcon worried and he's giving you a few bum steers!!!
    I wish!

I know everybody will hear a piece of music differently, so I value everybody's opinion, and take all critiques into consideration. I'll certainly do some polishing on this piece, though (after all, that's why I posted it!)

Thanks for listening!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Hmm. Perhaps I should not have revealed I was going to submit this to the competition? Maybe that could be preventing feedback . . . oops.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

It's not against the rules for me to get feedback, right? I could post this on the "Compose Forums" to get additional feedback, right? (Wow, I just noticed they've got a section dedicated to GPO orchestration that I never knew about!)

Thanks!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast