• Register
  • Help

Topic: Computers? Sampling?PC?G5?

Share/Bookmark

Computers? Sampling?PC?G5?

What is the future of smapling and computers? I have searched for previous posts, and am usually finding very opinionated conclusions. What is platform is better for sampling and which platform is the future of sampling? I know I hear it is a preference issue, but I always read these things saying that a Mac G5 can process stuff twice as fast as the Athlon 64 fx, and I am would like to know what path is a wise one because I am looking to purchase a new computer in the next months and would like to choose a safe platform. Just give me your opinion and set up and what you think.

Thanks much NS,
    Sean R. Beeson

Re: Computers? Sampling?PC?G5?

Although there are many pro musicians that use Apple Mac computers, you could never go wrong with a computer with Microsoft Windows on it.

Windows OS - based computers have about 90+ % market share, so this market is just too big for developers to ignore.

However, given technology advances so quickly, either a Mac and or Windows PC would be OK, since a computer you buy today will probably be obsolete in 3 years anyway.

I would actually suggest you approach the decision from the "end-result desired" and work backwards into a platform. For example, if you are interested in sample libraries, investigate them, then let that help pick a platform for you.

I am kind of into the whole VST thing. I am a fan of GS 3 and I already own a PC so I thinking of buying a G5 dual 2.5, and adding some ram and using my PC to continue using GS 3. I am into like EWQLSO products and am looking for a very strong one system. I know tha right now with my pc(Atlon 2800+) I am maxing my CPU not my ram and have optimized a lot of stuff many times.

Thanks,
    Sean R. Beeson

Right now the best reason to get a Mac is Logic 7. Simply stated it's an awesome sequencer and music creation tool. It comes loaded with so many virtual instruments that if you were to try and buy separately would cost you twice as much. EXS24 streams extremely well and it's an incredibly powerful (and underrated) soft sampler. Logic 7 comes with several gigs of samples, plus Sound Designer is a great sounding convolution reverb.

I use Logic 7 every day for my film and tv work. It's solid and I love it. I also use EXS24 and Kontakt exclusively for all of my sample playback. You can hear some of my results with this set up on a post called "A Long Piece" http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25938

As far as this quote goes:

Although there are many pro musicians that use Apple Mac computers, you could never go wrong with a computer with Microsoft Windows on it.
    I'm still trying to figure out if this is a sarcastic statement of if Martin is serious.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Post Re: Computers? Sampling?PC?G5?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Beeson
    What is the future of smapling and computers? I have searched for previous posts, and am usually finding very opinionated conclusions. What is platform is better for sampling and which platform is the future of sampling? I know I hear it is a preference issue, but I always read these things saying that a Mac G5 can process stuff twice as fast as the Athlon 64 fx, and I am would like to know what path is a wise one because I am looking to purchase a new computer in the next months and would like to choose a safe platform. Just give me your opinion and set up and what you think.

Thanks much NS,
    Sean R. Beeson
    The bottom line is that you can get work done with either a Mac or a PC. Most Hollywood composers have found a combination of both systems to be the best way to work, with their DAW being on the Mac and then having dedicated PC's for Gigastudio or the QLSO.

Personally, I run a Dual 2.5GHz G5 with two custom built 2.4Ghz Pentium IV machines for Giga etc. and have found it to be an excellent combination. I will say however that the PC's operating system is not as elegant to work with , nor as robust or reliable as OSX. Owning both systems, this is simply an objective observation and does not mean that you shouldn't choose an all PC setup. Do however bear in mind that many software developers are developing certain softwares for Mac only, Logic being one of them and that the integration of OSX and the new G5 hardware, which incidently is the fastest, makes for unparalleled performance which at the end of the day, means money in your pocket.

Best,

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

To get into a PC vs Mac debate is pointless... they're both solid platforms with which to run software on - so, choose your software and the computer choice will be made for you.

Mark TS

Go Back to forum