• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: AVE MARIA by DPDAN

Share/Bookmark

AVE MARIA by DPDAN

First, I am not Catholic, not that there's anything wrong with being catholic If my memory serves me correct, and from about twenty years ago when I recorded this piece, it was a French Catholic tune. Anyway, I did it from memory and by ear, I went to Google to find the proper key and one website stated that the original key was Db...... sounds good to me. I'm not really sure if all the chords are correct, and my guess is there are some wrong ones, but I think it turned out real cool anyway.
    Simple, Steinway Grand Piano, Cello and a few Neumann KM 84 mics.
    AVE MARIA
    Enjoy,
    DPDan

Re: AVE MARIA by DPDAN

This actually sounds like an arrangement of the Ave Maria by Bach, which would technically make it a Lutheran piece. No big deal, though. You're right, it did turn out pretty good. Those Neumann KM 84s sound sweet - I wish I could mortgage my house to buy a pair...
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

I'm doing this right now for a project. A couple voicings and chords are a little different in yours but it sounds nice the way you did it. Cello sounds teriffic- though it sounds like some unwanted (??) wheel data crept in around the slide at the rubato about 2/3 way through...

Nice one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Rhino
    Those Neumann KM 84s sound sweet - I wish I could mortgage my house to buy a pair...
    OH, Bach, really? Figures, all of his stuff is great.
    Those KM 84's were used for the sampling of the instruments in GPO, at least that's what I remember reading somewhere...
    Thanks Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    it sounds like some unwanted (??) wheel data crept in around the slide at the rubato about 2/3 way through...

Nice one!!
    Hi Fred, can you point me to the exact spot, I am not hearing any weird mod wheel action, curious though
    Thanks
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Fred, can you point me to the exact spot, I am not hearing any weird mod wheel action, curious though
    Thanks
    Dan
    I had to download it to play it in Media Player and get a time! I hear two, one at 1:16 which is very slight, more like a vibrato thing and one a bit more pronounced at 1:41, sort of like a lazy slide off the note. Were you going for a portamento?? I'm being super picky because this is really good. I love the phrasing and dynamics!!

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    I had to download it to play it in Media Player and get a time! I hear two, one at 1:16 which is very slight, more like a vibrato thing and one a bit more pronounced at 1:41, sort of like a lazy slide off the note. Were you going for a portamento?? I'm being super picky because this is really good. I love the phrasing and dynamics!!
    Thanks for the reply Fred, both of the things that you heard are intentional swells, just before the player slides to the next note. I place all the slurs and slides by hand in Digital Performer, and rarely use the VAR controls in the player. I have found that the natural tendancy with technology, is to go overboard. Of course, (and I know you already know this) in real live playing, there is always a significant amount of slides and inaccurate pitch, here and there. Sometimes in real life, the slides and pitch fluctuations are much more that I ever use, because there's nothing worse than bad sound, and then trying to fool someone after the fact into thinking that it's a real player. Man I talk alot, sorry, anyway both were intentional and not accidental mod wheel bumps. I do appreciate your keen ears. Thanks for your response and thanks for listening.
    Dan

Ah, groovy!!

Thumbs up Re: AVE MARIA by DPDAN

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Rhino
    This actually sounds like an arrangement of the Ave Maria by Bach,.
    You're right, I have this on CD.

Dan, this is sweet. Love the cello. Dang thing sounds so natural. Nice, very nice indead.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    You're right, I have this on CD.

Dan, this is sweet. Love the cello. Dang thing sounds so natural. Nice, very nice indead.
    thank you Mr Styxx!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast