• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: More original exercises

Share/Bookmark

More original exercises

So few people comment, I hate to waste posting space, but here’s another totally and only GPO piece that I put together yesterday and today. It’s about 3:30 and in deference to dial-up Mac folk there’s a LoFi 64K MP3 (1.6 meg)as well as a Windows Media 64K (also 1.6 meg) and a more truly HiFi 160 MP3 (at 4.1 meg, the best if you have broadband).

As usual, it’s original (I don’t do “covers” or comment on them anymore) and the "form" is A-B-C-B-C-Ending, where “C” is in 5/4 and everything else is 3/4. Those of you familiar with Philip Glass, John Adams, Steve Reich and Terry Riley can hear the influences. The discordant elements are strictly intentional -- I can't stay in the 19th century as pleasant as those sounds are!

KevinKauai

P.S. Yes, this will probably go into my "Cirque du Soleil" audition CD (not that they've asked for it -- yet). As any of you who have attended their wonderful live shows know, they have a live "band" of 7 or 8 players and most of their music is structured so that if a performer misses a cue, they can drop back to a "repeat point" and get re-synched. I think my stuff would be ideal for that!

Re: More original exercises

Kevin,

Hi. I just wanted to say that I have downloaded and listened to all of your pieces as you put them up on the board. I thourghly enjoy them. I think, in terms of minimalism, that they are very original sounding (much more like Adams than Glass in my opinion!)

I also wanted to say that I really enjoy looking at the scores that you had put up on your wen page as well. I would really like to see more of them when you get the chance.

In terms of the tune, you're right, it does sound very cirque-de-sole (Spelled wrong, I'm sure)

The only comment I can make is that the melodic cell carried by the trumpet towards the end seems a bit soft in comparision to the rest of the ensemble. Like you said, though, you just put this together and I'm sure that you had already caught that.

By the way, this is an extrodinary amount of work to do in two days!!

Keep up the great work and I always look forward to hearing more.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Kevin this is a good tune nice job . I would have liked to hear a little more bottem end to balance it out but that is just my opinion. Also a bit ago I wanted to listen to your work but I could not find your site the link to your home page seams to be missing. Thanks for sharing

Talking Re: More original exercises

Thanks to Jonny Lost, musicman and neoTypic for their comments and suggestions. I've revised this piece to a "semi" final state and it's now on top of my usual Preview Page . It now has a title, too! "Catch the Brass Ring" (if that's not too suggestive).

There will be a score link there later today, too (as a PDF file).

NOTE: In recognition that Microsoft Windows Media Player does work on Macs (duh!), I am now routinely posting an additional LoFi version in MP3 (usually 64K) for those of you who are bandwidth-impaired.

This version will get a "preview-premiere" on the excellent "Surreal Radio" Ampcast show of CJ Wray which is on Ampcast Internet Radio every Saturday beginning at noon Hawaii time, 3 PM PDT and 6 PM EDT. CJ runs his internet broadcast out of his home studio outside London and always has an eclectic mix of material. (Remember, for those of you who "do" Daylight Savings, this Saturday night/Sunday morning is when you "Fall back".)

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Thanks to Jonny Lost, musicman and neoTypic for their comments and suggestions. I've revised this piece to a "semi" final state and it's now on top of my usual Preview Page . It now has a title, too! "Catch the Brass Ring" (if that's not too suggestive).
    Kevin,

I'm a huge fan of Cirque du Soliel. I find some of their stuff extremely moving (like the silk curtain duet "Ballare" in Dralion, which I caught in Atlanta).

As I listened to "Catch the Brass Ring" I could easily visualize their productions. I think this style is a perfect fit for what they do. I hope the next performance of theirs I attend I'm listening to some of your work!

I know you don't get a lot of comments, but do keep posting, man. Not everyone who listens posts, but I'm sure you reach a lot of people who enjoy hearing what you're up to. I know I do.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

As I'm not really familiar with the works of Adams, or the background music in Cirque du Soleil (I find myself paying more attention to the half nekkid female contortionists...), I can't really address this piece on those levels. I do, however, find this an enjoyable piece to listen to - reminds me in passing of "Bolero" by Ravel. It also sounds, well, "real." Hard to believe we're doing all this stuff on the computer, isn't it?
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Smile Re: More original exercises

Well done. Very well. I love what you did in the B-section (the section with the solo trumpet. Loved it.

Kevin, every time you post, it just gets better and better. I certainly can visualize the Cirque du Soleil performing to this. Very nice work on the short bows. The trumpet sounds a little weak, but that's okay. Maybe some mid-range EQ could beef it up. I love the percussion. Works very well in the context of the piece. Excellent job.

Smile Re: More original exercises

Big OOPS! After chatting with Tom in the ad hoc Friday chat today, I realized that I had made a large (to me) error in the way that I had positioned the percussion. Turns out that it was worse than I originally thought -- I had put what I intended to be the SECOND percussion (antiphonal) track on the channel where the FIRST percussion was, which resulted in ALL of the percussion mostly coming from hard left. (That must've happened through some error of the mouse in my most recent late-night session.)

Anyway, I also tweaked a little bit on the French Horns and added a more definitive final note (actually now a pair) from the Tubular Bells (which signifies the brass ring going into the clown's mouth and ringing the gong).

If you care to check out the "final" version, it's on the top of the Preview Page with some additional notes on the instrumentation, the "program" description (a first with this piece) and the PDF score.

Enjoy ... and many thanks for Christopher D, Easy_Rhino (are they EVER "easy"?), 88 chopin and JB!

KevinKauai
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 10-30-2004 at 04:32 AM. Reason: typos and error in URL

Several years ago I was commenting on my neighbor's new deck that he had built himself. It looked amazing to me - people who can do that stuff without the result being condemned or accidentally sawing off a body part in the process amaze me. But he told me that he mismeasured and one end of the deck was 3/4" longer than the other side. Mind you, this was a 30 foot deck so the idea that somebody could visually tell that one side was longer than the other was, quite frankly, ludicrous. But he knew the flaw was there.

I guess the moral of this story is, when you're putting original works out, nobody knows where the flaws are. Now, that being said, I listened to the new one and I see what you mean about the percussion. It has more, um, balance now, if that's the proper word for it. Good news is that you didn't have to plane off 3/4" of your deck.
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast