• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT; The amazing Scott Smalley

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up OT; The amazing Scott Smalley

I just had a religious experience last weekend attending the NY Scott Smalley two days seminar. People came from Danemark, Italy, to attend the class.
    To those of you that haven't checked him out yet, this is an amazing opportunity to spend time with an amazing orchestrator. Scott is such a generous dude, he'll give you everything he's got plus some. His orchestrations are brilliant and the material you get during the class is invaluable.
    To top it all, he is a funny, warm human being.

Here's the link for Scott's next seminar:
    Scott Smalley

What a treat!

Re: OT; The amazing Scott Smalley

Wow, cool Patrick!

And is this really only $249?

Hey Peter,
    yep, the value of the scores and CD alone are worth more than the registration fees!
    Too bad you're a little far but if you have a chance to check him out one day, don't hesitate. Great stuff!

Hi Patrick,

Scott is a favorite on several email lists and forums. I just checked him again on IMDB (damn the birthdates info over there - I'm getting older quicker than my chops are improving )

Scott surely has orchestrated some nice stuff! Including co-orchestrating my favorite Batman score.

I get the impression that his seminar is more inspirational than educational (but, nothing wrong with that of course). Is that so?

Regards!

Not at all man!
    Scott goes over a variety of topics, a very helpful formula to make sure the sections of the orchestra are balanced (the Zed clef ), each group of the orchestra and its characteristics and analysis of a whole bunch of great scores. I came out of this seminar with a 2 days headache, there was so much to think about. Every musician that participated, including people that work with live orchestras on a very regular basis, were blown away.

I'll be attending the L.A. seminar next month (Nov 6-7), and was surprised that nobody else responded when I mentioned this here a couple of weeks ago. I've heard nothing but great things about his seminars and am greatly looking forward to it. (I've heard he sometimes sneaks in bootleg scores in addition to the "official" materials for the class)

I just got an email today saying there were still eight spots left for this one, so it's not too late. And if anybody, attending or not, has that Saturday night free and would like to have a pow-wow, let me know. Hasn't there been talk of regular get-togethers among Angelino Forumsters?

Sean,
    I had seen your thread but since I hadn't attented the seminar yet, I couldn't comment.
    Scott is not what you would expect. Not from a guy that has been in the business for so long... You are in for a treat.

PS: make sure you don't schedule heavy work loads on the next day

Quote Originally Posted by P de Caumette
    PS: make sure you don't schedule heavy work loads on the next day
    Yeah, right! My clients have a sixth sense about when I need a light day---which always translates into an avalanche of work with tight deadlines.

Audio mp3s of these seminars, by both Scott and his father Jack, are available for download fron Film Music for not a lot of money. I found the Jack Smalley 'master class' very interesting.

Post Re: OT; The amazing Scott Smalley

Quote Originally Posted by seanmccoy
    I'll be attending the L.A. seminar next month (Nov 6-7), and was surprised that nobody else responded when I mentioned this here a couple of weeks ago. I've heard nothing but great things about his seminars and am greatly looking forward to it. (I've heard he sometimes sneaks in bootleg scores in addition to the "official" materials for the class)

I just got an email today saying there were still eight spots left for this one, so it's not too late. And if anybody, attending or not, has that Saturday night free and would like to have a pow-wow, let me know. Hasn't there been talk of regular get-togethers among Angelino Forumsters?

I've attended the seminar before -- it's excellent and well worth it. I will be registering to attend Nov 6 and 7th.

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

Go Back to forum