• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sharing GPO projects between Mac/PC - any solution yet?

Share/Bookmark

Sharing GPO projects between Mac/PC - any solution yet?

Sharing GPO projects (Cubase SX) between Mac/PC does not work because the GPO plugin has a different name on Mac/PC. I was hoping this would be fixed in future updates, but it hasn't yet. Are there any plans to solve this or is there some other workaround? (Besides recreating all the instrument settings manually which is not a "workaround" by definition but a "headache")

Wirebird

Bump... no info on this from Tom, Gary or anyone..? In opinion it's a pretty serious issue that GPO is not compatible between Mac and PC. There is no way for me to cowork or share projects with other GPO users on a different platform without me or them having to spend a lot of time recreating all the instrument settings, writing down what's supposed to be there etc.

It should be very easy for NI to fix the name of the plugin from "PersonalOrchestraVST" (PC) and "PersonalOrchestra.vst" (Mac) to a name that is the same for both platforms.

Wirebird

Re: Sharing GPO projects between Mac/PC - any solution yet?

Wirebird,

I don't have much to add to this subject but I do suspect that it is a more difficult problem than it appears on the surface. For one thing, PC names include extenders as part of the naming system. In the case of GPO it is "PersonalOrchestraVST.dll." The ".dll" cannot be omitted and is apparently incompatible with the world of Mac right now. Any differences (no matter how slight) between the names on the two platforms will result in an incompatibility. I doubt that NI is avoiding compatibility if it is easily achievable. Is there a way to make the names identical for the two platforms? Well, nothing occurs to me right now but maybe NI can find a clever approach. Then again, maybe they can't. You might try experimenting with some naming options in Mac to see if you can find a way. There are no Macs in my studio to play with so I'm not much help here. Jeff might express an opinion when he gets back. He's our Mac guy.

Tom

Thanks Tom You've got a good point - the issue is probably not easy for NI to solve, or else it would be right in the first place. In my experience NI is very thorough.
    I've tried earlier to change the filename and some names inside the package, but it doesn't work. Maybe I'll have a go at it again. It's just a major issue for me to not be compatible, so I hope that NI will address the issue somehow or some other solution will be discovered.

Wirebird

Quote Originally Posted by Wirebird
    Sharing GPO projects (Cubase SX) between Mac/PC does not work because the GPO plugin has a different name on Mac/PC. I was hoping this would be fixed in future updates, but it hasn't yet. Are there any plans to solve this or is there some other workaround? (Besides recreating all the instrument settings manually which is not a "workaround" by definition but a "headache")

Wirebird
    Hey, man.

Manually creating all the instruments, particularly in a large orchestration, would indeed be a PITA. However, what about this for a less painful workaround:

Try creating a couple of template files, one for Mac and one for PC, that has a full orchestra set up on specific MIDI tracks. When moving from one machine to the other (assuming MIDI only here, of course), perhaps you could export as a MIDI file from one, create a new project from the template on the other, and then import the MIDI file. If my thinking is correct (and admittedly, I haven't had my coffee yet), all the imported MIDI tracks should line up in the template with no name changes necessary.

There might be a way to standardize your template for using audio and MIDI mixed as well, but I thought this might at least be some food for thought. And speaking of food, where's that coffee....
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

That's a good suggestion Christopher, thanks I won't be able to use it most of the time since I'm mostly coworking on projects that include audio recordings and mix, but there might be occasions where a MIDI file could be very useful. I already have a couple of templates so I would just have to duplicate them on a PC.

Wirebird

If I come up with any other creative ideas, I'll let you know!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum