• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Opening GS2 perfs in GS3 - problems

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Opening GS2 perfs in GS3 - problems

I've copied my existing GS2 files over to a new GS3 PC via network. The library files seem fine BUT when I load old GS2 perfs it loads up the volume and pan settings but not the instruments! Am I missing something obvious? I checked the GS3 prefs but couldn't find any reason for this. Do Perfs have to be on the C drive? Currently they are on an F drive. Pretty sure that is not the problem....

Thanks in advance, this is a big PITA right now

Re: Opening GS2 perfs in GS3 - problems

I have noticed that if the path to the samples is not exactly the same as it was when the performance was saved, the samples will not be found. You say that they are on an F: drive, but were they on the F: drive, with exactly the same directory structure, on the first PC when you made the performances? If they were on say the E: drive, then the performance will be lookign for them there on the new PC, and not find them. Or even if they were in "F:/Quantum Leap Brass", whereas now they're in "F:/Giga Files/Quantum Leap Brass", it won't find them.

This is a real hassle I know, and I'm startinhg to realise that for future security, I need to make a chart of the instruments in all my performance files, and save that in Word or Excel or something, so they can be reconstructed if necessary.

Ouch, well that is a surprise. This is pretty basic stuff isn't it? I mean it was always likely that some people would jump to a different rig with GS3 (my GS2 machines are Windows98) and I would have thought that the QuickSound database is a good foundation upon which the program could look for the closest match to the .gig file last used in a performance wherever it may reside. Pro Tools hasn't been like this in years (it looks on all drives for audio files now if you want), it seems rather archaic for such a modern program like GS3 to have this sort of 'problem'. Not very plug 'n play...

And to answer your specific question yes the structure is different in my new machine and I prefer it to be; but may have to rethink how I do this now, which is a time-wasting exercise really. Humbug.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I'm going to report this...it certainly should find your samples. I'll try to let you know what they say about it...

Bruce

Maybe Bruce is right. I only know I've had similar experiences to you with performances not finding their samples.

I hadn't actually thought that much about it because other sampling software seems to be the same. If you load a Kompakt multi, for examples, but have moved the samples since you last loaded it, they won't just load up automatically. I don't know about Pro Tools.

But yeah, it sure would be nice if it could be relied upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I'm going to report this...it certainly should find your samples. I'll try to let you know what they say about it...

Bruce
    Bruce thanks. I really hope this can get resolved, and soon. If it is helpful I can email Tascam direct if you have someone specific in mind who wants to know more about my rig - if this is a non-universal problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    Maybe Bruce is right. I only know I've had similar experiences to you with performances not finding their samples.

I hadn't actually thought that much about it because other sampling software seems to be the same. If you load a Kompakt multi, for examples, but have moved the samples since you last loaded it, they won't just load up automatically. I don't know about Pro Tools.

But yeah, it sure would be nice if it could be relied upon.
    Ouch, yes Pro Tools used to be the same but it has a very sophisticated finder window now which is great for tracking files.

YES! Thanks Bruce for checking into this. I'm not even sure that my samples have moved from where they were in 2.5. I have a slight inkling that I might have changed the name of the drive, but not the letter. If that caused it, then Giga 3 is REALLY picky.
    Cody

It also doesn't load the instruments into the saved audio channels when loading old GS performance files.

Example, if I had instrument slots 1, 2, and 3, all going to audio channel 1/2 in the old performance file when loaded into GS3 it will put each instrument into its own channel (1 to 1/2, 2 to 3/4, 3 to 5/6, and on and on.)

Not a big deal, but sure as heck is a pain in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    It also doesn't load the instruments into the saved audio channels when loading old GS performance files.

Example, if I had instrument slots 1, 2, and 3, all going to audio channel 1/2 in the old performance file when loaded into GS3 it will put each instrument into its own channel (1 to 1/2, 2 to 3/4, 3 to 5/6, and on and on.)

Not a big deal, but sure as heck is a pain in the rear.
    I think that's a pain as well. Some form of utility app to convert old performances should be created as a priority IMO. I am a little amazed that this stuff hasn't been considered important in the first release. Then again, maybe GS3 should do all this, and there is a bug. I'll wait and see what Bruce's contact has to say.

Go Back to forum