• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Using GS3 live on a gig

Share/Bookmark

Using GS3 live on a gig

I have an important jazz gig tomorrow night (playing piano), and have decided to take my PC so I can play Black Grand. To save me lugging a monitor with me, can anyone tell me how to have GS3 load automatically on startup?
    I will only be using the one piano sound, so have no need to change midi channels, or any other controls

thanks
    Mal

Re: Using GS3 live on a gig

Cool!
    I can't help you with the technical problem, but I would love to hear how the gig turned out and how Black Grand performed!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Should be great Worra. I'm using the close perspective as it is a 6 piece group tomorrow and I need it to cut through...but it has a beautiful full bodied sound :-)
    I use the ambient for solo work which is also superb...

regards
    Mal

Hi Mal,

I don't know if the following works with v3, but it does with v2.5:

Put a shortcut to the GS program file in the startup folder, find it at approx this location (in XP):
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Next, create a default performance that GS automatically loads when it is started. If I remember correctly, you just save the performance you want to load and name it "default" (?). Just check in the helpfiles.

Turning off your PC with the powerbutton should automatically force the GS application to quit and shutdown windows if your 'power settings' are set the right way.

Keep in mind that in some cases (depending on your MoBo and BIOS), PC don't like starting up if there's no keyboard or monitor attached. You should be able to change this in the BIOS, but I don't think it should be a problem. Just remember to thoroughly test if it works, as you'll be helpless when you don't have a monitor/keyboard/mouse at hand with your gig starting in 5 minutes.

I've been using the White Grand for live jazz gigs for a while now and its really perfect. Still in doubt whether to switch to the Black Grand....

Hope this helps you out. Good luck with your gig.

Rob

Thanks for the advice Rob :-)
    Do you take a monitor to gigs with you? I'd prefer not to if possible

regards
    Mal

I have a 14" TFT monitor built into the lid of my PC's flightcase, so it opens up like a rather fat laptop. The monitor is small and light, and only 2cm thick, so it doesn't add that significantly to the bulk. And it's permanently wired up to the PC, I don't have to plug in and un plug things.

I actually never look at it while playing, but I'd sure as Hell hate to be stuck with something going wrong, and not have it there for troubleshooting. Even just random things that happen when the PC boots - some randomly changed BIOS setting or something - that are nothing to fix by just altering a setting, but could easily lead to the PC being unbootable should you not be able to see what's going on to make that change.

I've heard of people doing it your way, but I'd never be brave/foolhardy enough.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Take a monitor. ALWAYS take a monitor. Anything can happen. It would be extremely risky to run sans-monitor. You can always turn it off or down, but having it there is really a necessity.

When I perform with Giga, I actually have a trackball and computer keyboard velcroed to my keyboard controller.

The other option is no monitor and to use your keyboard's piano sounds as the backup. If the PC fails to launch, you'll still be playing piano, rather than sitting up there on stage debugging windows.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The other option is no monitor and to use your keyboard's piano sounds as the backup. If the PC fails to launch, you'll still be playing piano, rather than sitting up there on stage debugging windows.

-JF
    Yes Jon, that is exactly what I had intended. I have a Roland FP5 which has quite a nice pino sound, (though not in the category of Black Grand)and would get me out of trouble if needed.

I have tried to put a shortcut for GS3 in this path...C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    , however GS3 still will not open....I get an error message.

Anyone know of any other way to have GS3 open automatically on startup?

thanks again :-)
    Mal

Just tried it again, and bingo...It worked.

So will try GS3/Black Grand tonight on the gig, without monitor...with my trusty Roland FP5 as backup :-)

thanks all for your input

Mal

Go Back to forum