• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 Quicksound crash to desktop

Share/Bookmark

GS3 Quicksound crash to desktop

GS3.02 worked OK for a few days.
    Now it crashes immediately when Quicksound starts. it even crashes when saving the included drives etc setup (but retains the saved setting).
    I can start GS without QS OK, but of course no gigs are shown.
    The instant I start a manual QS the app crashes.
    I've tried turning off file monitoring, including only a drive/folder with a few 'original' gigs, hyperthreading is off etc.
    Un/reinstalled GS3 and my Audiophile 2496 (latest 5.10...48a driver).

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
    P4 3GHz
    2GB Ram

Any help appreciated.
    Erik

Re: GS3 Quicksound crash to desktop

You may have a corrupted gig. Did you add or alter any gigs? Did you convert any from v2 to v3?

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    You may have a corrupted gig. Did you add or alter any gigs? Did you convert any from v2 to v3?

-JF
    Thanks, but no to both.
    The only thing that's changed is that I reinstalled the waves for Virtual Guitarist Electric Edition, but they are on a drive wich is supposed to be excluded from the Quicksound search.
    How do I go about checking gigs when the Quicksound doesn't live long enough to give any indication of what causes it to trip?
    The fact that it crashes when saving driver/folder preferences indicates something else than a corrupted gig.

Erik

Well, I finally fixed this. For anyone interested here's what it took.

1) Uninstalled GS3 and deleted the Tascam folder under Program Files.
    Restart

2) Opened regedit and removed all references under HK_CURRENT_USER<Software and HK_LOCAL_MACHINE<Software.
    Restart

3) Opened c:\windows\system32 and deleted various dll's and sys files as per the old GS2 clean uninstall document. Had to rename a couple of files and restart to be able to delete them.
    Restart

4)Fresh install popped up a message that there was a previous beta version installed....???
    Found the GigaClean.exe in the utils folder, probably could have avoided
    1)-2)-3) by running this first, oh well...

5) Finally got GS3 installed, the backup registration was accepted and I'm back to making music.

Erik

I wonder what got corrupted?

You might run a check disk with the auto-repair boxes checked. It's possible that you have a bad sector on your system drive.

You might also make backup copies of your DLLs - now that you know them from steps 1-2-3. You can restore them later if you run into the problem again. It would be interesting to back up just the Giga part of the registry, though I'm not sure how to do that without a lot of hand work.

Fortunately, GigaClean & Giga install are pretty quick. Glad to hear that the music is flowing again.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nygaard
    Found the GigaClean.exe in the utils folder, probably could have avoided
    1)-2)-3) by running this first, oh well...

Erik
    I had to uninstall GS3 Orchestra once due to what I think was a corrupted set of impulses (or a bug in the GS installer).

I uninstalled GS3, then ran the GigaClean.exe (or course after saving my GS3 Registration). It worked perfectly.

Given this experience, if I need to again, I can easily uninstall/reinstall GS3 in about 20 minutes.

P.S. - To try to avoid crashes, I have been careful to "reset" GigaStudio after I have added anything. If I have added VSTs, I run the GS3 "Configuration Settings" VST scanner before I run GS3. If I have added .gigs, I first rebuild the entire GS QuickSound database before loading any .gigs.

Aforesaid, unfortunately in my case didnot work.
    BS

Yang

Go Back to forum