• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Will DFD fly on a laptop?

Share/Bookmark

Will DFD fly on a laptop?

This is a simplified version of a question I posted earlier, which for some reason garnered 0 reponses. (Was it my breath?)

I'm running Sibelius & GPO on a Titanium G4 laptop and was wondering if DFD requires faster HD rotation speed of a desktop. I know that the GigaStudio version of the same thing won't work on laptop because it requires 7200 rpm HD.

I'm reluctant to attempt this as everything is working reasonably well(read: spectacular compared to anything I've used in the past) and don't want to screw things up.

Thanks

Re: Will DFD fly on a laptop?

DFD does require faster hard drive speeds that are the norm in a laptop. If you wish to use DFD with a laptop it may be necessary to get a firewire drive (if your laptop supports one). This may or may not be worth the trouble if you are getting the performance you require when loading out of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    DFD does require faster hard drive speeds that are the norm in a laptop. If you wish to use DFD with a laptop it may be necessary to get a firewire drive (if your laptop supports one). This may or may not be worth the trouble if you are getting the performance you require when loading out of RAM.
    Hi Joseph:

Have a Toshiba A75-206 2.5 GB/1.5 GB RAM. It spins probably at 4200 rpm like most laptops. If I have a firewire EXTERNAL HD, can I use that 7200 rpm speed with GPO?

How? Do you have to install GPO on the external drive or JUST the sequencer and/or GPO files?

John

You just copy the library there. No need to run another install. Just copy the actual library from your OS drive to there. Make sure that you direct the Kontakt Player to those files instead of the one on your OS drive when using DFD. Your sequencer will not care where the files are, only the Kontakt Player will need to be directed to those new library files.

The 7200 RPM firewire drive should be sufficient. It will hurt nothing to try it out. Just make sure and turn off the Lock Memory No Swap in the options panel of the Kontakt Player when using DFD.

Thanks Joseph Burrell

I'm getting what I consider to be stellar results as things are, however I can't have anything near a full orchestra going('only' a small goup of solo strings and a few solo instruments.)

I had thought maybe of doing the external hd thing that Rhap 2 is attempting. The computer/music store that sold me GPO attempted it on my system and it failed, possibly things weren't done exactly right.

The upgrade PDF I downloaded was unreadable but since I posted this question it seems to have been fixed, and I gather from what I read there that GPO will work best in RAM, so I'll stick to that. I'm pretty certain I'll have a desktop soon anyway and can skip all this monkeying around.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by pgurnee
    This is a simplified version of a question I posted earlier, which for some reason garnered 0 reponses. (Was it my breath?)

I'm running Sibelius & GPO on a Titanium G4 laptop and was wondering if DFD requires faster HD rotation speed of a desktop. I know that the GigaStudio version of the same thing won't work on laptop because it requires 7200 rpm HD.

I'm reluctant to attempt this as everything is working reasonably well(read: spectacular compared to anything I've used in the past) and don't want to screw things up.

Thanks
    Hey pgurnee

I too have a G4 Titanium laptop. (Though, I am a Finale user) I was chatting with Tom Hopkins on the Friday chat last week and he basically told me that DFD only works well if you have a very FAST processor. Hard drive speed is also an issue, but even with a 7200 rpm hard drive, the data can only go from here to there as fast as your processor and ram can accept/process/send it.

I had to turn it off. Things are OK now - right after getting the update i kept getting all sorts of "memory getting low" warnings when loading even two samples. I have to reduce sample rate resolution in GPO studio to get any decent polyphony - but sonic purity pays the price for that. (dreaming of a dual 2.5 G5 )

For what THAT was worth!!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Most likely the 4200 RPM speed won't make a big difference. In theory it will limit the number of instruments you can use, but if for the sake of argument we suppose that this RPM limits you to no more than 50 instruments - while at the same time your CPU is the bottleneck that limits you to no more than 15, then the limits of the hard disk won't much matter.
    I expect you will be much more likely to be limited by your CPU on a laptop than you will be by having DFD with a 4200RPM drive. However... running with DFD will probably make slightly greater demands on your CPU than running only from RAM (DFD disabled), and this could be a negative effect.

I haven't verified any of this on a laptop yet, so possibly the results would be different. Regardless, I would generally not recommend using DFD unless you are limited by a small amount of RAM, or perhaps if you are working with a piece that has piano and a bunch of other instruments (the piano is pretty large and eats into RAM). The most common limitation I've seen people come up against is CPU usage, and DFD won't be any help with that. [Using only dry instruments, and applying a single CPU efficient reverb on an effect send in your sequencer, helps with CPU usage]

Thanks Jeff -

It looks like I'm going to buy a desktop(iMac G5 with 1.8gHz processor) so I'll run GPO as it was meant to be run. Hopefully the 1.8 will be fast enough for full orchestrations.

Thanks again

I'm not a Mac user, but for whatever it's worth, I'm running GPO and Kontakt using DFD with good success on a laptop PC. It's really only necessary when running largish numbers (tens) of instruments at the same time, or when running really big instruments (i.e. pianos), but it also has a convenience factor, since it's several times quicker when loading up a new instrument. The faster your CPU and disk, the more instruments you can run DFD, but the incremental load was actually surprisingly reasonable on my Thinkpad. The biggest downside is that, unlike loading samples into RAM, where things work perfectly up to the point where they work very, very badly, when DFD is used, a statsitical probablility of glitches is created and gradually increases when you push the system harder.

One thing that no one else seems to have mentioned in this thread is that it's not just the rotational speed of laptop drives that causes lower performance relative to "workstation" drives. Laptop drives also tend to have slower track-to-track seek times at the same rotational speed - 7200 RPM laptop drives are generally slower in random-access (i.e. DFD) use than 7200 RPM workstation drives.

Quote Originally Posted by pgurnee
    Thanks Jeff -

It looks like I'm going to buy a desktop(iMac G5 with 1.8gHz processor) so I'll run GPO as it was meant to be run. Hopefully the 1.8 will be fast enough for full orchestrations.
    Just make sure it's got 2+ GB of RAM.

Go Back to forum