• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Christmas in October!

Share/Bookmark

Christmas in October!

Here's my version of "The Holly and the Ivy" for string orchestra.

http://www.swanswingpress.com/listen.htm (it's at the top of the page).

This is actually mostly GOS, but I layered some sus+short GPO strings on several parts for a fuller sound.

Comments and criticisms are welcome, but since I'm going to be out of town for a while, I may not see any of them till I get back next week. (I'll be in Las Vegas, working. Honest! Hopefully I'll be able to find an Internet cafe or something so I can stay in touch, but I may be too busy.)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Christmas in October!

Dan,

I just visited your musicpage and though I like both christmassongs, I absolutly LOVE Shenondoah and Threnody !!!

Beautifull work !!

Great that you put the scores online aswell !

Hmm, the page doesn't seem to want to open. I'll check back later.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Dan,

Very nicely done.

I have one critique and it's probably a personal preference thing but...

...the pizzacato sections sound as if they are dry. Which would be just fine, but the arco strings seem to have at least a little reverb on them. Of course, this could be just me.

Other than that, a fantastic endeavor. Keep up the great work.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Very nice indeed Dan although it's not a piece of music I have heard. I did take to the melody though as it's very catchy. The whole piece was most enjoyable....I'm going to try and get hold of a CD with these 'Hymns' as perhaps there may be others I like. If they're all as good as this it'll be great....I suppose I could just wait for the Garritan CD.

Frank

""Even at 6:00 in the mornin', that boy ain't right!!" - Hank Hill

I fell off my chair laughing at the
    quote....it describes every
    musician I have ever known
    and probably the basis for creativity.

I liked the pieces by the way.

Paul O.
    Houston

Thumbs up Re: Christmas in October!

Wow Dan Wow! Simply awesome! Man you guys are great with this stuff! I like reading along with the score as well.
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: Christmas in October!

Very nice arrangement.

However, I think you could make more use of the tempo track because I thought it was a little bit lacking in the expression department.

Don't know if it would be good to add some more reverb to get more Church or Concert hall feeling.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Hey, everyone! I got home from Las Vegas at 4:00 this morning, and I still haven't caught up on my sleep, so I may not be very coherent right now. Anyway, thanks for all your comments. I agree that the reverb needs a little attention. I'll try to fix it before I send it in to Gary.

OT: If you're looking for a good holiday CD, you might like Floyd Gadd's "O Come Let Us Adore Him." Info at http://www.mts.net/~fgadd. He's got a couple of my arrangements on it, which is how I know about it. I just got a copy in the mail last week, and was very impressed .
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I see I never commented/blathered about this piece. Excellent arrangement and execution. Bravo!!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast