• Register
  • Help

Topic: What Have You Done, Tom Hopkins?

Share/Bookmark

What Have You Done, Tom Hopkins?

Hey! What have you done to this program? It's incredible. I get such better results. Pops & clicks seem to have vanished, instrruments sound better, I use lower latency, and I no longer need to think about a different piano sample. With the X-Custom piano, the dynamic range is terrific. Currently, I am using mostly piano, either solo or with trumpet, and pipe organ. I am well beyond pleased and happy. I am ecstatic. I wish you could hear my latest organ piece, "Pachel's Belle Canon and Fugue", and piano, "Murcian Nro. 1", which ought to knock your socks off, as well as demonstrate the dynamic capabilities of the new GPO piano. Some day, I will have a site, and post such things.

Richard Wayland

Re: What Have You Done, Tom Hopkins?

It sounds as if Tom has worked a miracle......Saint Tom???? or maybe just a simple 'Sir Tom Hopkins'....Gee that's got a nice ring to it!

Frank

Lightbulb Re: What Have You Done, Tom Hopkins?

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Hey! ... Some day, I will have a site, and post such things. ..
    Richard Wayland
    Richard, you can join "ACID PLANET" for free and put your music up there. It's what I and a couple other forum members use.

Thanks Richard,

I came back after the weekend, saw the title of this post and wondered what in the world I had managed to screw up this time. My mother used to say something similar to me a lot when I was a kid ("What have you done now??!!!!!!). Fortunately, this time I got off with a pleasant surprise! Glad you are enjoying the new update.

Sir Thomas Beachbum

As a new user I would like to add my compliments on a good sensitive piece of software engineering - its all very usable. The update raises the bar.
    Zero

Thumbs up Re: What Have You Done, Tom Hopkins?

I've never owned a $3000 orchestral library, and I doubt I ever will. But I have listened to muchos demos, and I am maybe too musically dense to understand the the difference.

But I don't understand how anyone who shells out a mere $249 for GPO could ask for anything more.

Back when I was playing through a low-end arranger keyboard, I felt that my expressive capabilities were limited by the on-board sound samples I had to work with, and would tweak my wave editor (CEP,sometimes for hours) just to make cellos or violins sound a bit more like cellos or violins.

Now it's exactly the opposite. GPO has been showing me both the limits of my musical ability, as well as the potentials for musical possibilities. I can no longer say that I'm limited by the quality of the sonic tools at my disposal. If, for example, my cello emulation doesn't quite sound like Yo Yo Ma, while I can't say that GPO could ever make me sound like him, I can say that I've got a lot of work to do before the sample quality even becomes an issue.

Before the update, there were a few "pops and clicks" issues, easily worked around by changing the pan or whatever...

... but now, this thing is so flawless that I'm seriously considering options for changing my working-class life completely so that I can dedicate myself to working as a composer, something I've always thought about doing anyway, but never really knew how to do.

Johnny Damon of the Red Sox called his team "idiots." He didn't mean it in a bad way, he was just trying to say that my team loves to play, and that they don't really care about the business aspect of baseball.

In the same spirit, I think you are an "idiot" Mr. Hopkins. You gave me an update for free that I would have happily paid money for. The new aggresive voices (oh, the brass!) as well as the key switching, (I haven't even looked at the "X-custom" stuff yet) have created a monster!, which I suppose is appropriate for the Holloween season.

When I first discovered the existence of GPO, the first thing I did was send my sister Jane the link (exhorting her to especially check out the Vivaldi!), and then called her on the phone. My sister (unlike old-hippie me) is one of those movers & shakers, who makes real money. But $250 is a lot of money for me. Her response: "Buy it, fool! If you don't have the bread, I'll buy it for you!" While I did not have to take her up on the offer, I did take her advice. Even then I had no real idea as to what I was getting.

Indeed, what have you done, Mr. Hopkins?

Quote Originally Posted by nexus
    Richard, you can join "ACID PLANET" for free and put your music up there. It's what I and a couple other forum members use.

Okay, thanks, I will check it out after another cup of French Roast coffee (my prelude to everything!).

Richard Wayland

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Thanks Richard,

I came back after the weekend, saw the title of this post and wondered what in the world I had managed to screw up this time. My mother used to say something similar to me a lot when I was a kid ("What have you done now??!!!!!!). Fortunately, this time I got off with a pleasant surprise! Glad you are enjoying the new update.

Sir Thomas Beachbum
    Aha! Gotcha good!

Richard Wayland

Go Back to forum