• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: An Andy Brick Masterpeiece! - Grygans Song

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up An Andy Brick Masterpiece!-Grygans Song w/GPO Updates

Andy Brick, well-known film and game composer, conductor and symphonist, has submitted a new work called "Gygran's Song". This piece is a monumental undertaking and was entirely done with the new GPO updates.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/GygransSong.mp3
    (The work is almost 5 minutes and is close to a 7 MB download).

Here is a description in Andy's words:
    In an evocative, eerie and yet solemn opening, I introduce the main theme in a simple duet of the bass flute and the double bass clarinet. Since it is indeed rare to find either instrument in any orchestral sample library, I thought I would take advantage of the library and employ both at the opening. The theme slowly evolves and grows until, upon its fourth iteration, all instruments in the woodwind choir have been introduced and we are led into a grand and sweeping string development reminiscent of epic cinematic film scoring. After an orchestral shift leads us through a moment of wondrous mystery, a final presentation of the opening theme arrives at its climactic resolution.

The middle section is again introduced by the woodwinds presenting a secondary theme. But this time their fanciful display is transferred to the wonderful Steinway in this library as it demonstrates its playfulness and agility. As the trumpets begin to add statements of grandeur the fortissimo horns present the entire orchestra in a wonderfully colorful display of both themes playing simultaneously. Particularly impressive to me was how well all the instruments handled the multitude of articulations called for in my score

I take us through a short dynamic, metric and orchestral diminuendo which arrives at the third section in which the Horn choir is featured in a development of the opening theme. So often employed as a simple use of power, the Horns here demonstrate the wonderfully tranquil yet majestic nature of the section. The majesty is brought forth by forte trumpets as they lead the Violins, Violas and Celli and Contrabasses to a final reflection of that opening theme.

To complete the dynamic cycle and pay homage to the Garritan Orchestral Strings, I let the GPO strings sing a deeply pensive and reflective coda. If you listen carefully, you will notice how well the GPO low woodwinds fill out the string choir.
    The GPO Instruments used:

Piccolo, Flute, Alto Flute, Bass Flute, Oboe, Modern Oboe, Oboe D’Amore, English Horn, Bb Clarinet, Bs. Clarinet, Contr. Bs. Clarinet, 3 Bassoons, Contr Bassoon, 4 French Horns, 3 Trumpets, 3 Tenor Trombones, Bass Trombone, 2 Tubas, Harp, Piano, Croatales, Orchestra Bells, Triangle, Tambourine, Snare, Timpani, Suspended Cymbal, Piatti, Gong, Windchimes, Solo Violin, Violins 1&2, Viola, Celli and Basses (Lush, Trem, Pizz, Sus & Short bows)

About the Artist:
    Andy Brick is a prolific composer, conductor and symphonist of music for film, television, live concerts and interactive games. He has extensive experience composing and recording live and midi orchestral scores for cinematic soundtracks and is a winner of numerous prestigious awards for his original music, including ASCAP Young Film Composer Award, ASCAP Popular Music Award, and CINE Golden Eagle Award.

Brick has composed music for Game projects by Electronic Arts, Sony, Interplay, Broderbund, Saffire, Mattel, and Konami and 3DO. His game score credits include Rick Dyer's (of Dragon's Lair fame) The Far Reaches, for which a bonus soundtrack album of Brick's music was released. He also scored Dyer's epic Tolkien-like fantasy adventure Kingdom II: Shadoan released on PC and PlayStation 2. In 2002, Brick provided new music for the US release of Arc The Lad Collection (Working Designs), one of the best-selling RPG videogame series in Japan. Furthermore he has written music for the groundbreaking game music symphony album Merregnon II (www.merregnon.com) recorded with The Prague Symphony Orchestra and Philharmonic Choir. As Music Director/Composer, Conductor and Senior Orchestrator, Brick worked alongside producer Thomas Boecker (Merregnon Studios), and veteran game composers such as Yuzo Koshiro (Shenmue) and Chris Huelsbeck (Star Wars: Rogue Squadron). In 2003 & 2004, Brick scored two of the largest blockbuster game titles Sim City Rush Hour and the highly anticipated Sims 2. Brick's score for Rush Hour was recorded with the 80 member Moravian Philharmonic. Sims 2 was performed and recorded under the direction of Mr. Brick with the 110 member Bratislava Symphony. In spring 2004 Andy once again took the podium and led the Filmharmonic of Prague through the recording sessions of Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Let us know your thoughts. I hope you enjoy this incredible work!

Gary Garritan

Re: An Andy Brick Masterpeiece! - Grygans Song

Oh, my God. This is amazing. This should be your selling demo, Gary. Just absolutely wonderful.

Well, this should certainly sell some copies of GPO. This is certainly a masterpiece of digital orchestration. Andy, you have wonderful control over Garritan Personal Orchestra. I wonder how long this took him to achieve?

As a videogame music fanatic, this is my style of thing. Great work Andy. Thanks for sharing this with all of us wannabe's.

I knew I had heard of his name before . . . then I realized I've been to his website a while ago (www.andybrick.com). He's an awesome artist. I don't know how they do it! Excellent work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Well, this should certainly sell some copies of GPO. This is certainly a masterpiece of digital orchestration. Andy, you have wonderful control over Garritan Personal Orchestra. I wonder how long this took him to achieve?

As a videogame music fanatic, this is my style of thing. Great work Andy. Thanks for sharing this with all of us wannabe's.
    Lol - Seeing as the updates have been out less than a week, I bet it took him very little time at all. He is so skiiled, that it probably flows very quickly. My guess is he sketched the ideas out in an afternoon and fine -tuned it the next day. It will be interesting to see if anybody knows the answer though. I am curious myself.

I thought the music was ok. I tend to be moved more by good unique themes than nice sounds. The sound was pretty good for something costing $250!
    Anthony Lombardi, composer
    www.anthonylombardi.com

For shear realism, the coda sounded best to my ears. Overall, I think the piece is too dry. Maybe a little more ambience could thicken up the samples.

------------
    Alex Cremers

My regards to Andy for a beautiful work of music. This is very much the style of music that I (wish I) could write if I had the time.

David

Thumbs up Re: An Andy Brick Masterpeiece! - Grygans Song

This is amazing and really highlights the library. Mr. Brick is an incredible composer. The new updates make GPO sound like a whole new library.

Thumbs up Re: An Andy Brick Masterpeiece! - Grygans Song

An astounding piece of music ... beautifully conceived
    and magnificently presented to the ear via GPO.

Three cheers for the "BRICK" and GPO
    for making my day. What a wonderful
    discovery.

I hope its OK to share the MP3 file with
    non-composer friends?

Paul O
    Houston

Go Back to forum