• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sonar 3.1.1 issues

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 3.1.1 issues

Hey, guys.

Before I try the standard uninstall / reinstall on Sonar, thought I'd first see if anyone has any insight on this. I'm running the latest update of GPO and am having difficulties with Sonar. There are two scenarios.

1. Start GPO Studio (GPOS), load instruments. Verify output works via Kontakt player. Start Sonar. Load a MIDI file in Sonar, pointing tracks to GPOS. No output in playback from Sonar. Check output in GPOS via Kontakt player. Now no output there, either. Exit GPOS. Causes machine to reboot.

2. Start Sonar. Add GPO as DXi synth. Set patch in GPO. Verify output works via Kontakt player. Load GPO second instance of DXi synth. Check output in GPOS via Kontakt player instance 2. No output in playback of second instance. If GPOS is now started, exiting GPOS will reboot the machine. (I know you're supposed to load it first, but I was testing the reboot problem in this scenario).

I don't feel like reinstalling Sonar tonight, so I'll see if any of you guys are feeling particularly brilliant and can make a suggestion or two that will save me from that exercise, particularly since there's no guarantee that it'll work.

Running Windows XP SP1 on P4 / 3.0 ghz / 3 gigs ram.

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Sonar 3.1.1 issues

First check the version number of the player if you can. This will rule out whether or not the update installed properly.

Second, go right click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Advanced Tab, click on Start Up & Recovery, and 'uncheck' the reboot button. This way you can see what's failing before you reboot.

I would guess that the update didn't install properly. That's my first guess. Check the version number of the player if you could. If you can't check it in Sonar, check in by going to C:\Programs\Garritan Personal Orchestra\VST & DXi and make sure the version number is 1.1.0.4

I would also check the audio outputs to make sure nothing happened there. It may also be a driver conflict. I had an issue over at the Compose forums with it BSOD'ing Cakewalk due to the update not working properly though, so I'd try that first.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    2. Start Sonar. Add GPO as DXi synth. Set patch in GPO. Verify output works via Kontakt player. Load GPO second instance of DXi synth. Check output in GPOS via Kontakt player instance 2. No output in playback of second instance.
    I have output of the 2nd instance in Sonar. Why would you want to use both standalone and DXi?
    sfiks

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    First check the version number of the player if you can. This will rule out whether or not the update installed properly.

Second, go right click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Advanced Tab, click on Start Up & Recovery, and 'uncheck' the reboot button. This way you can see what's failing before you reboot.

I would guess that the update didn't install properly. That's my first guess. Check the version number of the player if you could. If you can't check it in Sonar, check in by going to C:\Programs\Garritan Personal Orchestra\VST & DXi and make sure the version number is 1.1.0.4
    Thanks for the help, man. Unchecking reboot shows the cause to be a BSOD: BAD_POOL_CALLER. Dll version is in fact 1.1.04 for both VST and DXi. The VST dll was copied both the the Garriton path and the Nuendo path (where I told the original install to put VST stuff). Dlls in all locations are dated 10/13/04 and have version 1.1.04.

By the way, this behavior may well have existed prior to any of the GPO / Kontakt updates, I honestly just don't remember.
    I would also check the audio outputs to make sure nothing happened there. It may also be a driver conflict.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean on this one, could you please elaborate?

Anyway, thanks loads for the help chasing this. I'm heading out for a few to get some food, back later...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by sfiks
    I have output of the 2nd instance in Sonar. Why would you want to use both standalone and DXi?
    I'm sure the problem is just something hosed on my particular machine, thanks for the verification on 2nd instance.

In normal situations I wouldn't want to use standalone and DXi, I've just been testing all scenarios trying to debug the problem.

Thanks, man!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Thanks for the help, man. Unchecking reboot shows the cause to be a BSOD: BAD_POOL_CALLER. Dll version is in fact 1.1.04 for both VST and DXi. The VST dll was copied both the the Garriton path and the Nuendo path (where I told the original install to put VST stuff). Dlls in all locations are dated 10/13/04 and have version 1.1.04.

Well, shucks, you guys has tossed out something I have never heard of before. What does BSOD mean, and how do you correct the BAD_POOL_CALLER, whatever that means?

Richard Wayland

Who knows what I mean. I'm running out of gas.

Anyway, did Windows state what device was causing the bad pool? Usually it references the device. This is an alternate working of the No IRQ Less than Equal to jargon, which most of the time has something to do with software/hardware drivers. You may want to uninstall and then reinstall GPO all together. As long as you have your authorization codes this won't be a big deal. Then just update the software after the reinstall. This is a long shot, though. I hate random unexplainable XP problems.

Anyway, did Windows state what device was causing the bad pool? Usually it references the device. This is an alternate working of the No IRQ Less than Equal to jargon, which most of the time has something to do with software/hardware drivers. You may want to uninstall and then reinstall GPO all together. As long as you have your authorization codes this won't be a big deal. Then just update the software after the reinstall. This is a long shot, though. I hate random unexplainable XP problems.
    I know what you mean about running out of gas - now that I've had my Waffle House fill, I'm about ready ready to zonk out myself.

Here's the Microsoft Speak on this particular exception code:
    Stop 0xC2 or BAD_POOL_CALLER

The Stop 0xC2 message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations in the following ways:
    • By allocating a memory pool size of zero bytes.
    • By allocating a memory pool that does not exist.
    • By attempting to free a memory pool that is already free.
    • By allocating or freeing a memory pool at an IRQL that was too high.
    This Stop message is typically due to a faulty driver or software.

It's supportive of your theory of a driver problem. However, my gut feeling is that it may be a Sonar bug rather than a GPO one, as I have no problems at all doing the exact same procedures in Nuendo. When I'm more ambitious (tomorrow!), I'll uninstall and reinstall Sonar and report back on my findings.

By the way, thanks for the tip on turning off auto reboot in XP. I would have missed that one.

Now get some sleep!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, shucks, you guys has tossed out something I have never heard of before. What does BSOD mean, and how do you correct the BAD_POOL_CALLER, whatever that means?
    Hey, Richard.

BSOD is techie speak for "Blue Screen of Death", the term we lovingly give to the all too common scenario of Windows dying a quick and ugly death, printing a lot of cryptic techno-speak in white text on a full screen blue background.

When Windows dies like this, the BSOD contains information that programmers use to figure out where they screwed up. When I was writing low level stuff for air traffic control software, I become, er, somewhat familiar with this scenario during the development / debugging phases. Don't ask.

The BAD_POOL_CALLER is the exception that caused Windows to freak. This stuff typically has little value to anyone who isn't doing tech support or trying to debug code. The former will usually look up known issues and workarounds that reference this exception. The latter will spend many late, sleepless nights making frequent references to the questionable parentage of the guys who wrote Windows.

Of course, the short answer is that a BSOD is a fast and fatal crash, requiring you to push the Big Red Button and utter phrases not appropriate for publication in civilized circles such as this...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum