• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Serious Memory Usage Problems

Share/Bookmark

Angry Serious Memory Usage Problems

I love the new update's aggressive sounds, KS controls, and bug fixes, but it seems to have come at a cost of available memory to use. At least in my case.

I use Personal Orchestra Studio (1.2) as my host. Ever since the update, it has been eating half of my RAM (516 metg) WITHOUT anything loaded!

Sorry for large image, but you can't read the task manager when I shrink it.

Something really is eating RAM here. I am getting horrid playback errors and dropouts (Only 3 notes on any of the tuba instruments will play at all) with loadouts that didn't even pull up the "WARNING: Memory getting low" dialog before the update.

I've tried the DFD, but I still get the dropouts.

Did I do something wrong? Is there a new studio version that works better with the update? Should I re-install everything? Did I find a nasty bug?

Re: Serious Memory Usage Problems

DZComposer,

Could you please repost the text portion of your post? I can't display your message on my screen because of the size of the graphic file.

Tom

Actually, I just tried to open your picture in a graphics program and it doesn't display properly there either. So I can't see all of the necessary info.

Here's some information that I think applies to your question: GPO Studio loads 8 instances of GPO. Each instance reserves a certain amount of RAM depending upon the buffer settings in the Options menu. If you have a very fast computer you may be able to reduce the buffer size, and hence, the RAM demands. I suspect that most people using computers with only 512 Megs of RAM are also using somewhat slower computers. This means that users with smaller than recommended amounts of RAM will probably need to use the player as a VST plugin (not in GPO Studio) and see how many instances can be used with a given DFD buffer setting. GPO Studio is hard-wired for 8 instances which may be too many for 512M of RAM. We'll keep exploring this subject.

Tom

I'll try that buffer thing.

Sorry about that image. My graphics software hasn't been working right either...

Basically, it shows all 8 GPO instances empty and a task manager window showing that the program is using almost 516 megs of RAM, which is about half of my total RAM.

Here's the after-image portion of that post:
    Something really is eating RAM here. I am getting horrid playback errors and dropouts (Only 3 notes on any of the tuba instruments will play at all) with loadouts that didn't even pull up the "WARNING: Memory getting low" dialog before the update.

I've tried the DFD, but I still get the dropouts.

Did I do something wrong? Is there a new studio version that works better with the update? Should I re-install everything? Did I find a nasty bug?

Tom,

Just FYI, I'm not seeing this issue at all. I have the newest Studio version. Here's what I've found.

With DFD off, Studio empty:

47 MB footprint

With DFD on, Studio empty (default preset):

53 MB footprint

With the full orchestra sound set loaded with DFD:

673 MB footprint (not bad at all)

Here's something else interesting...

My Lock Memory No Swap was deactivated. I reactivated it and

Empty Studio with DFD:

310 MB

This could be a workaround for DFD users.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins

This means that users with smaller than recommended amounts of RAM will probably need to use the player as a VST plugin (not in GPO Studio) and see how many instances can be used with a given DFD buffer setting. GPO Studio is hard-wired for 8 instances which may be too many for 512M of RAM. We'll keep exploring this subject.

Tom
    Should I take this to mean that I will experience improvement in Sonar 2.2 if I install the Cakewalk VST adapter and use it in place of GPO Studio?

Would there be a performance improvement using Overture SE? It would involve import of midi created by Sonar.

Richard Wayland

I had time tonight to test my system. Like Burrell, the results were much lower RAM usage than some are reporting. The following results are using a P4 2.4Ghz machine with 1Gb RAM.

With DFD off:
    Just GPO Studio (no instruments loaded) = 258Mb
    GPO Studio (no instruments loaded) with CubaseSX2 = 329Mb
    GPO Studio (no instruments loaded) with Sonar4 = 290Mb

With DFD on:
    Just GPO Studio (no instruments loaded) = 317Mb
    GPO Studio (no instruments loaded) with CubaseSX2 = 391Mb
    GPO Studio (no instruments loaded) with Sonar4 = 250Mb

FYI:
    1. I'm using the latest GPO Studio version 1.2
    2. Hyperthreading is turned off.
    3. Auto-convert to 32bit is turned off
    4. Lock memory is turned off

Tom

Richard,

"Should I take this to mean that I will experience improvement in Sonar 2.2 if I install the Cakewalk VST adapter and use it in place of GPO Studio?"

It will give you more flexibility. GPO Studio is 8 instances hard wired. Using the VST plugin lets you choose the number of instances that your machine can handle.

"Would there be a performance improvement using Overture SE?"

Overture uses somewhat less RAM on my system than either of the sequencers:

DFD off:
    GPO Studio with Overture = 265Mb

DFD on:
    GPO Studio with Overture = 321Mb

Tom

DZ,

Could you try turning off the Lock Memory No Swap option in the options panel of the Kontakt Player and see if this improves RAM usage for you.

Go Back to forum