• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: A PC/Mac Comparison

Share/Bookmark

A PC/Mac Comparison

I have been struggling mightily with GPO in Pro Tools/Mac. My best results after tweaking, reading about set-ups, updating and whatever else in Pro Tools on my Dual 1.25 with 1.5 gig mac has been 8 dry voices playing slowish passages.

I have a 20 voice midi file I need to realize, and when I imported it into Pro Tools and opened GPO as a RTAS plug, I got 20% system usage spikes. Then when I actually loaded the first instrument (piccolo) it jumped way up to 50%. This without even hitting play!!!

So, realizing this was not going to work at all in Pro Tools, I decided to bypass Pro Tools and use Finale as the playback sequencer through the Mac's audio. I got much better results, but as soon as more than 6 voices were playing, there was incredible distortion and crackling. CPU getting hammered at around 80%.

Then, I turned to my 1.9 Athlon PC with 512 gig. I imported the Midi file into Overture SE.

Finally, I see how GPO is supposed to work. With 20 voices playing, not a single crackle and CPU was going no higher than about 20%.

I think GPO is definitely a PC program. No?

I have used other NI products on the same Mac (Stromdrum, Percussive Adventrues and Artist Drums) and they seem to work fine. Great in fact. I am confused why GPO does not work, but glad to finally be able to use GPO as an orchestral program on my PC. It really is fantastic!

Re: A PC/Mac Comparison

I wouldn't discount the Mac. I would be doubtful about Pro Tools. You might want to try with another sequencing software like Cubase Se or Sonar. It's up to you but from experience I personally found Pro Tools to hard to work with GPO.
    Just my $600000000000 worth.
    Styxx

[QUOTE=Styxx]You might want to try with another sequencing software QUOTE]

Hey Styxx!

Yeah, many have suggested this. It chaffes me a little that it is advertised to work with Pro Tools, but it really does not.

I did try the other sequencer suggestion. Finale, and got better results, but really not THAT much. I would not be able to realize a full score in finale.
    I don't imagine Cubase would be any better on the Mac than Finale?

I just read this tread http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26038
    and can't believe how much are people able to pool off their PC's.
    I am running GPO on a powerbook G4 867 mhz with 1GB RAM and Logic Pro
    If I load 8 intruments playing only 1 note each my powerbook is chocking ???
    What am I doing wrong ???
    http://baleswebpage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dubaifox
    I have been struggling mightily with GPO in Pro Tools/Mac. My best results after tweaking, reading about set-ups, updating and whatever else in Pro Tools on my Dual 1.25 with 1.5 gig mac has been 8 dry voices playing slowish passages.

I have a 20 voice midi file I need to realize, and when I imported it into Pro Tools and opened GPO as a RTAS plug, I got 20% system usage spikes. Then when I actually loaded the first instrument (piccolo) it jumped way up to 50%. This without even hitting play!!!

So, realizing this was not going to work at all in Pro Tools, I decided to bypass Pro Tools and use Finale as the playback sequencer through the Mac's audio. I got much better results, but as soon as more than 6 voices were playing, there was incredible distortion and crackling. CPU getting hammered at around 80%.
    There's got to more something else going on inside our Macs. I use ProTools & Finale on my G4 Powerbook, 550 mhz, 1 gig RAM and your performance seems worse than mine. I can only load about 8 voices at 1 time in ProTools as a RTAS. Same 8 voices when using Finale & GPO Studio. But I'd think that you should have 2 or 3 times better performance than me looking at your specs. In ProTools I render my tracks to audio to build a piece. Not elegant, but it works. A lot of people on Macs are having success with DP. Maybe that's your answer.

Jeff

[QUOTE=dubaifox]
    Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    You might want to try with another sequencing software QUOTE]

Hey Styxx!

Yeah, many have suggested this. It chaffes me a little that it is advertised to work with Pro Tools, but it really does not.

I did try the other sequencer suggestion. Finale, and got better results, but really not THAT much. I would not be able to realize a full score in finale.
    I don't imagine Cubase would be any better on the Mac than Finale?
    I am not plugging or paid to say this. This is from experience in a local studio. The engineer is a beta tester for Magix and has been testing Sequoia and Samplitude Version 8 with extensive midi control and editing. After witnessing how easy it was to load GPO in midi and how it is treated the in the same as audio, I was blown away! The only set back is the price of V8 with any one of the two. I believe Samplitude V8 will go for around $999. Way too high for my pocket but oh how nice and user friendly it is. I was able to do everything that can be done with CWHSXL or Cubase and Pro Tools but with less steps. GPO loads without a hitch. It's too bad Samplitude is not as advertised as the rest. I think most of us are missing out.
    Just my personal experience.
    Styxx

I haven't upgraded from Sonar Producer v3.1.1 to v4 yest because I was waiting to see about Samplitude v8 pro. Sam 7 was not extensive in midi, but v8 looks real promising. There is a Sam for rent - which you pay about 30-40 a month for 25 months and receive all upgrades INCLUDING major version upgrades that occur during the course of the 25 months. I am debating about this. At $40, you are paying exactly the sale price, but it is "financed" for 25 months and you will get the new version upgrade (typically $250) for free. You can purchase it outright at the end of the 25 months if you choose and then pay for each upgrade from then on. No dongle either.

Sam 8 has some really nice plugins as well - the compressor is supposed to be amazing. It also includes a realtime convolution reverb with included impulses. The guy who created Blockfish (www.digitalfishphones.com) is now creating all of their included "analog" plugins. It looks sharp. It is supposed to be available at the end of the month according to their website.

I'm thinking of selling my plasma for the Pro edition upgrade to Sam 8. I absolutely love Sam's audio capabilities. So far I haven't found a product that competes sonically.

If you do the competitive upgrade (for competitor DAW owners), I think - and I may be wrong - but it is only $29.99 a month for 25 months. This puts it at approx $750 when all is said and done. This included one major upgrade (at least according to their history of releases - possibly two). So, for a new owner, You would have spent - including purchase price and upgrade - $999new/$599 crossgrade + $250 upgrade = $1249new/$849crossgrade. If you plan on using it more than 25 months, you can renew the contract at the same price for a year, or purchase the software outright - $399 I think. If you have the cash, the crossgrade is the best deal (if they offer it with v8). Otherwise, the sam-for-rent is a good plan.

Guys, can we get back to the topic. We are trying to do a " A PC/Mac Comparison" here.
    I really want to get as much as possible from my setup and it seams that
    everything NI works at least 60% better on PC's.
    Thanks
    http://baleswebpage.com/

Go Back to forum