• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: About those different sounding strings....

Share/Bookmark

About those different sounding strings....

Yeah, my last post kind of fizzled out, so I guess I'll just kind of post something again...

Yeah, the strings sus+short samples sound different in this version of GPO than in the last one. They sound more aggressive and bright. This is good for fast stuff, but now we no longer have strings in the update for slower material (I know there's the Lush strings but we all know honestly they just don't sound very good). Is this just me, was this an intentional move, or what? I hate to bug people but I just want to know, that's all.

Re: About those different sounding strings....

Craig,

I thought I had addressed this in the other thread but apparently not sufficiently. I'll state again: When I have time I'll look into it (I need to go through my archives and locate the earlier version of the patch - it hasn't been on my computer for about 6 months) and compare the programming to see if any inadvertent changes were made. I can't tell you more until I've looked at them. I probably won't have time to look at them until next week. In the meantime, you can have the older version to use, if you wish, by following my instructions for adding the backup file. I'm not sure what else I can tell you.

Tom

Question Re: About those different sounding strings....

Let me ask, are you talking about vlns 1 and or 2 sus + short or full strings sus + short?
    Styxx

Oh, I must've misunderstood you. See, I thought that it was just a matter of just listening to it. I had no idea that it would involve doing all that. I don't want you to have to go through so much trouble if you don't have the time/energy. I understand you're really busy and I certainly didn't mean to bug you. I just felt like I was being blown off I guess (it's not your fault AT ALL why I felt like this, a lot of stuff has been going on in my life currently causing me to easily think this way about people). At any rate, thank you for addressing my concern though.

Craig,

Here’s a follow-up to my post last week: I had a chance to compare 1st Vlns Sus+Short files and found that, as I suspected, most of the changes were made to increase compatibility with notation programs. Having slow attacks (with an expressive swell) was one of the primary complaints we received over the last year from users, so changes were made to this aspect.

As I stated, the older version can be copied from the backup folder but one thing that you don’t get by doing this is a keyswitched version. So, I’ve created a special version of the KS patch which I’ve named “1st Vlns KS Combo Classic.nki.” The first two keyswitches in this optional instrument duplicate, as much as possible, the older files. The things that are different in this new version include controller assignment changes and “length” control programming. The first two keyswitches should sound very similar to the Sus+Short instruments in the older library. Here is the link to both the Dry and Wet Audition .zip files.

http://www.garritan.com/Update/Vlns1KSClassicdry.zip
    http://www.garritan.com/Update/Vlns1KSClassicwet.zip

Each .zip file contains an instrument and its corresponding text file. Copy the unzipped files to their appropriate folders in the Garritan installation. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Hope this helps.

Tom

Tom,

You guys are too much. I honestly feel like I should file a complaint that ya'll are so wonderful that I don't feel worthy of using your wonderful products.

...Ok, I'm over it. Time to download!

Seriously, you guys rock so much it's silly. Silly!

Wes
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Tom,

I followed your directions and when the new (old) patch loads, there is a message that the system could not locate some of the samples. When I clicked "ignore", I had to do this for about thirty samples or so. The patch then appears and seems to work fine, though I also noticed what seems like a volume difference between some of the keyswitched notes. I'm not griping, but thought you'd like to know. Perhaps I goofed somewhere?

Wes
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Wes,

Hmmm. Interesting. Not good, just interesting. Actually, it may mean that I can't just modify the coded files on my system and make them available for download. That would be a shame since it means that the files would need to wait for re-encoding by NI. I'll try to determine if that is the case. Do you have GPO installed on your C: drive? In any case, choosing "ignore" won't do the trick, the samples need to be directed to their location on your drive and then the .nki file re-saved. I had assumed that in a normal installation on the C: drive this sort of thing would not be necessary.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Wes,

Hmmm. Interesting. Not good, just interesting. Actually, it may mean that I can't just modify the coded files on my system and make them available for download. That would be a shame since it means that the files would need to wait for re-encoding by NI. I'll try to determine if that is the case. Do you have GPO installed on your C: drive? In any case, choosing "ignore" won't do the trick, the samples need to be directed to their location on your drive and then the .nki file re-saved. I had assumed that in a normal installation on the C: drive this sort of thing would not be necessary.

Tom
    Tom,

I have a normal installation, but on a second drive (D: drive). It still seems to work, but perhaps this issue explains the volume problem.

Wes

Oh, Tom man thank you so so so much. I owe you a lot man. Thank you for taking time out to do that, man!

Go Back to forum