• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recommended 'Brushes kit' for a short film

Share/Bookmark

Question Recommended 'Brushes kit' for a short film

Hi there,

I have a client that wants me to score his short film (entering festivals in Dec) and he really wants the 'Woody Allen' old time jazz combo sound - real small - (upright, piano, clarinet and probably brushes) for most of the cues.

I have all sorts of drum sounds but nothing very convincing for brushes. Short of hiring a drummer to come in to lay it down (yes - it is an indie budget ) - is there a library out there to handle this. If I can just get the brushes that would be perfect as I have a jillion snares, toms, etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: Recommended 'Brushes kit' for a short film

Rob, PM me.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I haven't heard Alan's brushes (assuming my guess is close ), but the Sonic Implants Drums Series One has really nice brush kits. It has really nice stick kits as well, for that matter.

But there are lots of drum samples in the world, and I certainly haven't heard them all.

Thanks Nick. Yes, for this project the Sonic could just do the trick. Thanks.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Take a look at Brush Artistry...

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?840

There are hundreds of live brush grooves, covering most styles you can think of, at varying tempos.

I throw them through Recycle to get in between tempos, and it works and sounds great. Most loops do include a "snare only" version for the times you want to use your own kick.

I highly recommend this, especially if it needs to sound real...

Hi Jaimo,

They do sound great. I have never worked with nor do I have recycle. I run SX 2.x. -- If I find myself between tempos couldn't I just time stretch?

Also, if our use these loops as is are they 'sample accurate' (no drifting after a few bars?

Thanks for your reply.

Rob

(I need med jazz swing or 2 step at 120 bpm - this is the primary 'tempo' of the two cues needing this.)
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I personally am not a big fan of time stretching, which is why I use Recycle, But time stretching certainly will work, especially if it's only by a few BPM's.

I'm pretty sure though that 120 BPM is a pretty standard tempo that these loops come in, so you may not need to do any time stretching at all.

I can't vouch for them being sample accurate, as again, I rely on Recycle, but one would like to think they are! Retriggering on every other downbeat or so usually remedies that if it does become an issue.

Oh, and there's plenty of Jazz and 2 step loops on that disk.

Go Back to forum