• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vibrato Control

Share/Bookmark

Vibrato Control

Hi all,

First off, let me just say i love GPO and am amazed at the quality of sounds and control.

Since I am brand new to GPO, i haven't quiet figured out how to take solo sounds of cellos and violins and control how much vibrato they use. My first thought, was that vibrato should be controlled via aftertouch on my controller (press harder faster vibrato, press lighter less), but that is not the case. Matter of fact, i can't find one control feature in GPO that gives a person the ability to control vibrato. Am i missing something? Is there any way to control the amount of velocity of vibrato and increase or decrease it as i play?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Lightbulb Re: Vibrato Control

It DOES seem to be the case (hard "Aftertouch" = vibrato) on many of the instruments in the Update. (I'm sure that list is either [a] obvious or [b] documented somewhere.)

i hope this help ... KevinKauai

Re: Vibrato Control

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    It DOES seem to be the case (hard "Aftertouch" = vibrato) on many of the instruments in the Update. (I'm sure that list is either [a] obvious or [b] documented somewhere.)
    AFAIK: This is true for the woodwinds who have vibrato and non vibrato patches. The vibrato on the solo strings is real (recorded like this) and cannot be changed.
    rené

The update adds vibrato control to non-vibrato instruments in the winds. Vibrato control does not apply to instruments that use natural vibrato recorded in the samples. I've tried to program the artificial vibrato to minimize the usual problems with such things. With both intensity and speed available the user can minimize the artificial LFO problems when applying vibrato. Natural vibrato still sounds more realistic but it's nice to have the artificial option in many instruments.

Tom

I totally agree that "natural" vibrato sounds better. However, depending on the situation it sure would be nice to have a bit more control over the speed and intensity. That said, i still have to say that i am blowen away by GPO and would never go back to life without it. :-)

- Daniel

Have you tried experimenting with the values in a sequencer to hear the differences? Try some of the downloadable tutorials on the GPO website.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    Have you tried experimenting with the values in a sequencer to hear the differences? Try some of the downloadable tutorials on the GPO website.
    I don't have a sequencer yet. i take it this would make a large difference to me. What would you recommend?

DJ,

Why not try using the Cubasis4 sequencer that came with GPO? It won't cost you anything and will let you become familiar with some of the standard sequencer functions. Later you can examine the more advanced choices on the market and decide which you prefer.

Tom

Go Back to forum