• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Sky is Falling...Will the Internet End in 2006?

Share/Bookmark

The Sky is Falling...Will the Internet End in 2006?

I just read a report that the internet will collapse next year. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041018-4318.html
    Dr. Hannu Kari, Helsinki University of Technology professor, says the Internet as we know it will end in 2006: "The net will collapes in less than two years because of steady increases in everything that makes the Internet so annoying". "The entire system will crumble to bits as the sheer bulk of rubbish circling around in the net exceeds the public pain threshold...."

"Viruses, trojans, spam, and security flaws are all on the march...and if current trends continue, their burden will topple the global network."

"There are many bad people who want to create chaos on purpose," said Kari (and we thought there were a few bad apples on forums )

When the internet is no longer operational...one has to time warp back 10 to 20 years and make do without information networks". Y2K all over again?

Perhaps we should make a backup plan for the GPO forum - snail mail newsletters, GPO stockpiling, massive telephone chains, satellite feeds, GPO underground fallout shelter - Perhaps a GPO commune on Orcas Island. What are we to do?

Gary Garritan

Re: The Sky is Falling...Will the Internet End in 2006?

I guess I'd better download the updates later tonight before this happens.

Dave,,,,what are you doing Dave?

So, this and fossil fuel used up soon. Looks like we're back to horse and buggy!

Garritan Forum via Smoke Signals! Everyone get your rugs ready and JB start writing that tutorial on the proper uses of the smoke signal system.
    Styxx

Yeah right, and the Professor said he could get the rest of them off the island too!
    Styxx

Speaking of a GPO commune, Gary, you mentioned the idea of having a GPO get-together about the time of the NAMM show in January. I was thinking of going to the show and visiting some friends in California about that time. Have you done any more thinking about it? Maybe we'd better do it quick while we still have email.

Karl

I have a solution! Buy an extra long network cable to link to Gary's computer directly in Orcas Island!

How many feet is it from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada to your place Gary?

Rob

Professor Chicken Little, Chair, Department of Technology and all things Rotten and Terrible.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Nothing worth as much money as internet commerce is going to be allowed to fail

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Nothing worth as much money as internet commerce is going to be allowed to fail
    You know, for an Artsy Head Banger, you certainly seem to have the corporate community pegged...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Perhaps we should make a backup plan for the GPO forum - snail mail newsletters, GPO stockpiling, massive telephone chains, satellite feeds, GPO underground fallout shelter - Perhaps a GPO commune on Orcas Island.
    Oh, you mean the Sixties? Hey, count me in, man!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum